View Single Post
Old 11-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdent View Post
Nice compact press Cal. Do you ever have a hard time seeing around the dies or keeping an eye on how the billet is forming out the back side of the press.

On those specs above, would you want a tad more speed on the ram to keep the dies from drawing too much heat out of the work. Just wondering.

Thanks for your knowledge, Craig
Craig, all my dies have stops on them to control the height of the final billet or the pattern that is being pressed into the billet so what ever is happening on the front is also happeing in the back.
Yes with only 5 gallons a minute this would be a little slow so you could either put a larger pump on which would require a larger motor or the other option is to design the circuit with a regeneration function then the press speeds would be as follows with the same 5 GPM pump. The cylinder would then approach the billet at almost 1 inch per second until the force reached 29438 pounds then it could switch back to it slow speed and maximum force. That is how my press works because I do not have access to 220V to run a 5 HP motor.

REGENERATION FORCE 29,438 LBS

REGENERATION VELOCITY 0.98 IN/SEC

EXTEND TIME 14.27 SEC.

FLOW INTO CYL 9.80 GPM

FLOW OUT OF CYL 4.80 GPM