View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007, 03:21 AM
Master

I have a simple approach to fitting ivory. It does however, require a little previous background experience.I shape the front bolster to what I want with a 60 grit belt attatched to the liner. I then go over this with a 120. Now for the ivory. I like shape in my handles and do not make them flat. There are many that do and end up with beautiful looking folders. With the sized curved bolster I can now reduce the back side of the ivory to where it's height where it contacts the front bolster is just a bit above. You could remove material so that the ivory is a bit higher at the back, make it less at the back, or just keep it level. I then get the bottom very level by sanding on a granite block with 120 grit sandpaper sheet over top. The bolster end is the either dovetail fitted or with arcs. The inside of the asrcs I do with a router in a router table with a speed conrol that has a sanding drum installed and that is used after I remove what I can with a 60grit belt The drum sizes I use are 60 and 220 grit. I final fit these with the use of inletting black I make from an artists sketching charcoal pencil that I scrape , not crush, and then add oil to. By holding the ivory to the scale and in proper contact with the bolster, and placing it upside down on a plate with a window in it I can now drill the screw holes which once off the scale will be opened for screw clearance and coutersunk for the screw heads.
Once attatched I trace an outline remove and grind down to the line with a 120 belt.I the reattatch go around with the 120 to size to the liner. I then finish shaping the top of the ivory first with a 120, and 400 belts .This also includes the bolsters After that I hand sand these down to 800 .I assemble the liners, bolsters,the scales with the back spacer installed . I then sand the out side of this assembly on the belt grinder again with the 120 and then a 400 belt. The scales with the bolsters attatched are then polished but do not attempt to polish the bolsters at the same time. To see one of my folders with bolsters front and rear and ivory scales go to Ebay number 280089952698 Just my way. Frank