View Single Post
Old 01-14-2012, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
If I May,

I would like to share a little technique I use to keep from loosing solder down the tang when attaching the guard on the hidden tang blade. After fitting and making sure everything is ready to go, I wrap the tang under the guard with several (lots)of layers of aluminum foil. I then place the knife in the vice so it has clearance down under the tang to go down further. I close the vice till it is a snug fit against the aluminum foil and place a piece of soft pine up on the tip of the knife. I then carefully tap the pine straight down and at the same time close the vive jaws a little at a time until I have a tight fit. After making sure the blade is straight up and down and the guard is exactly where I want it, I tighten the vice to the final tight. The jaws are on the aluminum and now I can reflux and solder the guard.

The guard is held right in place and no axcess solder can run out the bottom and down the tang. I use a little electronic de-solder wire to absorb any excess solder. A puff of water from the spray bottle and the knife is ready to dunk into the Hydrogen oxide (H2O) and go to the next stage of production.

I hope this tip is of some use to someone.

Best wishes, Larry Peterson