View Single Post
Old 07-20-2017, 11:17 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
I was really thrilled when Joe started posting here. When he did, this forum had the two best authorities on Randall Made Knives in the entire freaking world! IMO. Ron and Joe. Hands down more knowledge between these two than any others around. I was really disappointed when Ron and Joe started discussing the Compton Knife and had a few differences. I have a lot of respect for both of these guys....we go way, way back. But Jack because Joe doesn't agree necessarily with you in regards to sheaths that is no reason to suggest he leave the forum. If you run Joe off from this forum then you poop in your chili. That's like informing the number one rocket scientist in the world that NASA doesn't need him.
Over.
Please re-read the post. I said quit this line, not quit the board. It is/was dedicated to Gen Hal Moore and it has wandered a long way from the intent.

I am not a moderator and I wouldn't tell anyone to leave off posting. Besides, Joe is no snowflake, he can take care of himself, and all of you and Ron post on the other board. It isn't like you lose access to Joe or his thoughts. Heck, I read them too. The difference is we discuss vintage Randalls a LOT more on this board... it seems to be what the core group is interested in and that happens to be Joe's focus. His contribution is welcome to me like in the white-Tenite line. I like vintage knives almost exclusively too.

Joe has recently began using terms like "HKL" for Heiser sheaths stamped with a Randall stamp. "HKL" is Heiser, same people, same factory just different sheath stamp. That fact was proved by our analysis and ways were also proved to differentiate between brown button Heisers/Randall Stamp (HKL) and Johnson brown buttons. Before our analysis, Joe was adamant that any Randall stamp on a sheath made the sheath a Johnson. But so was everyone else too... It shouldn't be hard to say "nice data discovery."

But, back to General Moore's knife. Just for a test, before I explain my thoughts, would anyone like to analyze reasons Col. Moore's pictured knife sheath likely does NOT have baby-dot buttons, but probably has brown buttons?... and if it does have plated, non-brown buttons, we should be able to date it almost exactly? I'm also leaning toward model 2 rather than 1. Hope to get some more close-ups.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-20-2017 at 11:52 PM.