View Single Post
Old 04-15-2014, 09:45 PM
Skilled

Thanks for your efforts Mrto. And I appreciate people who took the time to respond. However, though that is probably the right answer, I'll hold off accepting that verdict as yet.

There are some people that have been around a LOT of Randalls on that board, but have been pretty wrong about the basics in the past. And they have yet to man up and even post a single comment on recent developments in dating antique Randalls ... So now, unless someone tells me "why" or how he knows this, I remain a little skeptical, especially about historical Randalls.

And there is another reason... it may be that the tang nut on a coolie cap was rounded as a decorative feature after being tightened. I considered that early in this thesis before I posted anything. But it might be difficult to be filed round without marking the brass fluting immediately under the nut... I have not seen any file marks there from close up pctures. Well, obviously there is a way to do it or you couldn't shape a skull crusher, but still, it would be pretty meticulous work.

What I just posted is an example of giving a reason for a statement. It may be completely wrong, I'm open to that, but the rationale itself is information, and ... it might start a conversation which could lead to pictures etc.... a conversation such as you and I are having.

I respect the expertise of the people "on the other forum." But the "conversation" there will rarely lead to discovery because most posts are just pure avowals, with little explanation or footnote. Plus there is apparently a lot of scar tissue over there. "Trust me, I know" doesn't cut it with me these days except for a few people I DO trust.

One issue is that occasionally some experts think their opinion is worth money ... part of the fallout from being "in the business" I suppose. Here is are some examples of the type of thing I wish had been posted on "the other forum":

"I called the shop, talked to Gary, and he told me they do this in three steps like this, 1.xyz 2.zyx 3.xzy . He said that he thought they started doing this in about 1965 and continue it to today... before that they just screwed a tang nut on and called it macaroni" ... or ...

"I took one apart years ago and found ..."
or...

"Pete told me they found a new way in the mid '60s to do the coolie caps with a deeper more consistent flute. They began making the caps more like a cone of brass to install on top of a more flattened handle end, instead of a true "cap," hand-beaten to take the radius of a domed handle end. After that, because of the rigidity of the cap, they could flute it, round the nut, etc. after it was installed.

"So, from about 1965 on, Randall quit hand-making the brass coolie cap to fit a domed handle, and starting making the flatter handle end fit the thicker cone coolie cap "
... It was a simple engineering concept that dramatically lessened the work... it is easier to shape wood than shape brass.

Now, THAT would be some good stuff.... LOL ...good luck on that though.

Last edited by Jacknola; 04-16-2014 at 12:25 PM.