View Single Post
Old 02-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Stuart, believe it or not I had already thought of doing my own testing to attempt to find out how long it approx. might take my knife to actually reach 1475F by comparing "times" to reach a lower x temp from a known for sure temp. Your way of using 1414F (non-magnetic) would be a good way to get me a close approximation of time.

I was just hoping to avoid doing the testing by having someone tell me for sure if putting my knife in a 1000-1200F (I might even try 1300F) oven and heating the blade up to 1475F and then do a 6-8 minute soak would do any detrimental things to 1095 or not. If, as most people are telling me here, it only takes a few minutes to completely heat a cold blade just during "rebound" to 1475F.......my way should probably only add 2 or 3 minutes additional. At temps below 1475F how could that really hurt for such a short amount of time?

I obviously don't have any experience heating knife blades in an electric kiln, and as I said my concern may very well be unfounded and definitely ignorant. Maybe it does just take the few minutes of "rebound time" from 1475F to thoroughly heat the knife before the soak as many have said. To put it more simply, I just want to be sure of that, thus maybe the need for testing.
Please keep in mind that I have been getting contradictory info from various sources regarding preheated elect. kiln versus not preheated, including from manufacturers of elect. knife kilns. This type of non congruent info has helped raise this one doubt/concern regarding making sure the knife is up to temp BEFORE the soak.

I personally, from my research so far, just don't think that it will hurt 1095 by using my method of putting the knife in a 1000-1300F kiln and heating it up to 1475F from there will do any damage. So far I haven't found any real proof that it does or can. It might be that my idea of doing it this way is completely unnecessary and a waste of time, but at the same time I haven't found anything stating it can do any harm either.
Therefore, maybe I could attempt to check the temp of the blade right when the kiln has rebounded to 1475F to see how close to 1475F the knife actually is. I really don't have an easy way to do that with the equipment I own. So if I do some testing, I guess I will attempt the other testing method mentioned and suggested.

Thanks to everyone for being so patient with me.
DAVID