Thread: Induction forge
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Living Legend

I am running an antifreeze coolant in mine since my shop is not heated. Plus it's a corrosion inhibitor, pump lubricant and prevents bacterial growth. The Dynaflux pump runs up to 80 PSI but I have mine set at 50. 2-3 seconds after heating a chunk of steel you can touch the coil.

The forge has a pressure switch inside that will not let it work unless coolant is running and at the correct pressure.

The only thing that should leak out of the coils is electromagnetic power, lots of it.

There is going to be a bit of a learning curve on how to use this process compared to gas. It's pinpoint heating potential can also become pinpoint cutting within two seconds past bright orange. This was 1/4" by 1" 9260 .

But you can also see how clean the steel is after 45 mins of forging. The pitting is very fine since you have perfect color monitoring while heating. By not looking into a glowing orange forge the color is very easy to watch. That is unless you try to push the envelope a bit on smaller stock.

Hopefully the induction gods will not be exactly too many more sacrifices to keep them appeased.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 09-04-2010 at 11:42 AM.