View Single Post
Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Best Method for Marking Steel for Templates

Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone could please share a bit of their wisdom on the best way to draw a outline, drawing etc onto steel for cutting out the blade and other parts.

Usually for my full tang knifes I print a template of my own design or found online and glue this to some thin ply and cut this out on my wood bandsaw and then use this plywood template to trace a outline onto the steel using a Sharpie marker. When grinding the profile I am having to cool the blade often in water which eventually fades the Sharpie line and every so often I need to redraw / go over the lines which is a minor annoyance but it works.

I have now moved onto making folders and find making the very small parts difficult because I am having to dip in water often because the parts are tiny and heat up very quickly and as a result the Sharpie method isn't really working for me.

Is there a way to mark steel that won't come / wear off unless it's ground / sanded off? Or at least won't come off the steel as easily as what the Sharpie pen does?

Thanks

Rab