View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Skilled

What quenchant do YOU use and why?

This is my honest attempt to get everybody's input on what they quench in and why. What quenchant do you currently use, what have you used or tried in the past, and what were your findings or results?

Reason being is that I was taught using used motor oil and mineral oil on 5160, differential edge quenching, after reaching critical temperature in a forge. BUT, I read and hear so often about other knifemakers of all levels using commercial quenchants like Parks, or automatic transmission fluid (ATF), combinations of ATF and motor oil, peanut oil, canola oil, water, even olive oil and the list goes on!

There are a thousand opinions, and I would like to hear what you use and what the results are of your methods. Simple as that, experienced to newbies, please give us your two cents. If you are satisfied without buying a commercial quenchant please say so. If you only use commercial quenchants please let us know. Please let us know if your results are from full quenching, differential quenching, from the forge or from a heat treat oven. Even want to hear from salt pot users! Thanks for your two cents!

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918