View Single Post
Old 12-06-2002, 01:45 AM
Banned

Question Heat Treating D-2

Me again Lynn and Jerry -

I'm up at 2 am, still worryin' about this darned heat treating! I surely am glad I don't HAVE to make knives for a living - it'd drive me nuts and I'd starve to death. But I love every second I'm in my shop or just turning a new blade over in my hand. Ha ha I even show off my new blades to my wife about every hour or so! But she never tires of talking with me about the blades.

But, on second thought, I don't think bolting my blades between to big chunks of steel would stop warping - because of my distal taper. I parabolically (?) distal taper my blades from the guard area to the tip of the blade, so I don't think that wouldn't work for me.

Also, do any of you know anything about this 'NEW" TURCO PRETREAT SOLUTION from www.knifeandgun.com? Is it supposed to take the place of HEAT TREATING FOIL WRAP. It would surely be nice to do away with the wrap, if possible! (And how do you enter a hyperlink here in this forum?).

But I see, in the latest BLADE, an ad by a knifemaker who says he heat AND CRYO treats his own D-2 blades (and I've emailed him). So when - after heat treating and tempering - does the Cryo come in? Do you have to go immediately from tempering into Cryo? Or can you finish the heat treating and mail the blade off for Cryogenic treatment. How cold and how long? Or can I just forget about Cryo with D-2?

Okay, maybe I can go back to sleep now. . . .

THANK YOU VERY, VERY MUCH GUYS!

Gene