View Single Post
Old 10-18-2007, 04:32 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
The sheath is very attractive and well put together. I, personally, do not care for the open type case on the welted side as I prefer the longer pocket of the true pouch. True, it does give a lesser grip when withdrawing the knife. Having never had to emergency draw a knife, I do not consider that a problem. I use an "S" shaped throat on my sheaths which does give a slightly added purchase. This however would not easily allow the sheath to be lined such as Paul does on his beauties. I do not subscribe to the "squared" end of the sheath as it takes away from the flow and should, in my opinion, be slightly rounded and never sharp pointed. The swelled and sharp area at the throat of the sheath does not add to the flow and has no apparent function. The belt loop can definitely be helped by skiving where attached, which will reduce bulk and facilitate the insertion of the belt. As far as stitching is concerned---if you stitch by hand you can save on labor by stitching either 5 or 6 stitches to the inch. 5 to the inch if using 7 cord thread and 6 to the inch if using 5 cord or 277 nylon. This is just a different way of arriving at the same end. Your customer will tell you what he likes---and he is the one you have to please. As you continue to make sheaths you will constantly make small changes that both you and your customer will prefer! And---welcome to the clan!