View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Skilled

This is apparently an etched logo, not a stamped one. So there is not a defined way of using the logo to identify age (as yet). Etching is done after the blade has been annealed instead of using a stamp when the blade is still red hot.

You can usually identify an etched blade by the "Os" in "Orlando." The etched "Os" are round whereas the stamped "Os" are oval. There are other characteristics as well.

As I wrote, there has not been a study comparing etched logos. I had intended to do one after the discovery of the differences in stamps, but I have not followed through. Why? At first glance I could not see an obvious difference between etched logos throughout the 1960s which is the period I am most interested in. And only a percentage of Randall blades had an etched logo.

Of course all the Solingen blade Randalls were etched as were other individual knives in other models .... especially when a stamp was mis-applied. Also, all the names and shop-personalized information was etched. So perhaps it could be worth following up, looking at fonts, etc. A study comparing etched logos from the 50s, 60s, 70s might develop something useful for age determination, or perhaps not.

Truth is, I do not understand the basic process and steps involved etching a blade and have not found a pictorial that explains it. Some time ago I saved about 50 close up logo pictures of etched blades to form a data base for a study. Perhaps sometime in the future. Right now I'm not very motivated to further provide research for this hobby.

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-16-2015 at 11:18 AM.