View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 03:32 PM

Jack,

I quickly went though my sheaths this morning:

1. All baby dot sheaths had East facing stamps. This shows a consistancy by Johnson, even though I'm only sampling ~ a half dozen.

2. 3 out of 6 of my BB sheaths had West facing stamps. All of these had the diagonal keeper fastened to the middle of the sheath, while the remaining 3 with East facing stamps had the keeper fastened to the edge of the sheath. Another consistancy in a small sample size. This weekend I'll match up the knives to my BB sheaths. Right now I "believe" that the West facing logos match up with the oldest knives. Here are a couple of examples:

This one is very early 60's based on the choil cut:

This one is ~ '63-'64:

I don't have a pic of the 3rd West facing knife and sheath, but I believe the knife is a laminated brown Micarta that is also ~ '63-'64.

Re Hunt's knife: That's the one! I contacted the owner (Who I knew) shortly after Bob published that book, asking him if he wanted to sell it. His response was that "I don't have a duplicate"!

Big Jim's a friend. I'll ask him if he has a photo of the back of that 1-8 sheath and get back to you.

There was no other sheath-making company other than Stockman that made more than a few sheaths for Bo during that era, and there are distinct differences between a Stockman and Heiser or Johnson so these are pretty easily recognizable.

Best,

Last edited by BoBlade; 04-26-2013 at 03:35 PM.