View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Your mehtods for cryo treating..gathering data

I had an interesting conversation yesterday, concerning cryo-treating blades. The methods used by the individual I was talking with at first seemed odd, but the more I thought about it, the more sense he made. Anyway, it made me think about the various methods that we use, so I thought I would ask a couple of questions to everyone here.

First, at what point do you cryo-treat your blades? What are your thoughts of the duration required for cryo-treating? (time) And, do you cryo-treat a specific blade more than one time?

For 52100 my method is to multiple harden the blade, conduct a "snap" temper, and then go into the cryo. Duration wise, I go for 6-8 hours in the cryo, and allow the blade to warm slowly back to room temp by placing the blade(s) between two layers of ka-wool. I follow this up with a triple temper, and then complete the knife.

So, don't be bashful........what methods to you use for cryo-treating your blades?

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."