View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 08:42 PM

Good on you Carl, for your work with the kids. You never know the impressions made, but considering all the nonsense and useless tripe kids are fed by their masters in school these daze, learning something that is real and has purpose is absolutely vital. It might keep them people rather than programmed automatons.

I started a fire program with my grandchildren. They've got every device created by man that begins with "i" and has a picture of an apple on the back. My son grew up learning to build fires, since we heated with wood (still do). He lives in St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (he got the brains in the family; I'm still up here splitting wood each winter). One of the big past times in St Thomas is having bonfires on the beach. He told me that he'll sit back and watch all the Gen-X'ers and Millennials exhaust themselves trying to get the fire going. And when they've all given up, he goes over and builds the fire...party on!

So that got me thinking, should my granddaughter be driving home from school some late, snowy night in an area with no cell service and little traffic, and got stuck, what would she do? Wrap up in an iPad? Rub two wireless earbuds together? So I been teaching them how to build a fire. My plan is to make each of them a knife for Christmas, with an accompanying fire bag containing, everything needed to build a fire in any condition. If the worst never happens, then thank the Lord; maybe she'll move to the islands and be the life of the party on bonfire night.