View Single Post
Old 02-17-2017, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

Well, I think I'm on to something. I heat treated 3 old blades that never made it to heat treat because they had mistakes. Same exact HT formula. All 3 came out straight as an arrow. I have this last piece of steel from the batch I'm suspecting is bad steel. As soon as I finish the grinding I'm going to HT in my forge as I've been doing for years. If it warps in the forge I think I can pretty much conclude I have bad steel. I'll let you know how it turns out.

The crazy thing about this whole mess is that it occurred at the same time I'm trying out my new oven. Ray, I honestly don't know if there is any way of ever telling if the oven is heating evenly on both sides. The coils on each side seem to be functioning the same. Besides, if that were happening I would think the old blades I treated would have warped too!

I'll figure it out eventually. I really appreciate you guys and your willingness to try and help. I've fooled around with this for several years but in many ways I still feel like a newby. I need to utilize this forum a lot more.