View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 03:31 PM
Steel Addict

seven spacer stacks were pretty standard by early-mid 50's from what I have seen and probably earlier.. The 4-6 pictured does have abnormally large white spacers from white we usually see, but I would say that is uncommon and not generally what we would expect. They appear to be from the late 40's to 1950 five medium thick range I spoke about earlier. That would explain the unusual width.

Most handles going back to pre 80's I would say had the sharp edge of the butt knocked off. I don't think there was an actual specification, but was how the guy finishing that handle did it.

Good point about the handle keeper. That certainly would lend itself more towards HKL versus Johnson, but I wouldn't make it the final word.

The sheath seems to be in pretty good condition from the head on view. Doesn't really look like it has spent much time in the field or heavily exposed to the elements.

How do we know Westmorland ever carried the model 2? Perhaps it was acquired solely to give as a gift? I imagine the General requesting a knife would get whatever he wanted lickity split.

Some of these guys bought quite a few RMK"s. There was one collection that came into a store near Bragg in a paper sack. Had large and small crutch tips, 1-6 and 1-7, and a 2-5.
All named etched to a SOG vet. All in split back riveted sheaths IIRC save for the 2-5.

So I wouldn t be surprised if Westy had more than one RMK at his disposal.

Edited to add I don't think it is pinned. The one photo shaking Westy's hand shows the handle pretty clearly, and I don't even see a glint of reflection.

Good stuff here. Photos are outstanding.

Last edited by crutchtip; 07-25-2017 at 03:50 PM.