View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Enthusiast

Dave,
I plan on doing some tough testing of the blade to see how it holds up.

All I have is an older Dayton 1x42 belt sander, which fine on non-hardened steel and for the limited number of knives I make, but doesn't have the power to work on hardened steel.

I do a rough cut out of the blade using a hack saw, then use the belt sanders, a bench grinder and numerous files to shape the blade profile.
I made several fixtures to hold blades at the precise angle I want, and use a spring clamp to hold the profiled blade to the fixture.
I then spend a few hours grinding the primary bevel by making a few passes on a side, then flipping it over and repeating the same number of passes on the other side, and repeat the process until I get to the point to do the secondary bevel. I then use a couple grits of sand paper wrapped around a paint stir stick to remove scratches and smooth the grinds. At this point I switch to another fixture with a sharper angle to bring the secondary bevel close to finish, then switch to a jeweler's file to smooth the edge.

Once all this is done, I heat treat.
In the case of these last three blades I did a plate quench, other steels I quenched in canola oil.