View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 10:00 PM
Skilled

In an investigation, the biggest mistake is to try to prove your case and excuse the evidence. I've done considerable searching and Joe's point about Heiser m2 sheaths with a more pointed toe seems to be a pretty solid rule.

What that means is that this could be a very unusual "A" type Johnson brown button horizontal keeper sheath. There have been only about 10 Johnson brown button sheaths identified of all kinds, and no m2s that I can remember...though there have been some "B" types. If this is a Johnson brown button, it would be fair to call it rare on many accounts ... if the frontal shape is accurate. Unfortunately, with no diagonal keeper, and no view of the back, we don't have a comprehensive confirmation in my opinion. However, the shape is different from the Heiser-west (HKL) sheaths which were also not usually equipped with a horizontal keeper. The package is made more unique by the spacer arrangement in conjunction with the wood handle.

If this is accurate, we can probably identify the age of this knife with great precision. It was made in about an 8-month period between mid-1962 and very early 1963, which is the documented time Johnson used brown buttons.

I think that is the date that is most accurate from the data to adopt for this purpose. However it is peculiar in context. Westmoreland was Superintendent of the United States Military Academy from 1960 to 1963 and Commander of XVIII Airborne Corps from 1963 to 1964. He went to Vietnam in late 1963 and took over MACV command from Gen Harkins in Mid-1964.

I'm not sure why he would procure a RMK m2 in late'62 early '63 or so. Perhaps it was given to him when he left West Point, or took command of the XVIII Corp, or even when he reported to Vietnam ... Perhaps the m2 blade didn't fit his likings so a year later he acquired the m1/5 ivory that he carried thereafter. It is a confusing story that requires inserting some assumed data... we will see. It would be a much easier story if this were a mid-50s blade.

Last edited by Jacknola; 07-27-2017 at 03:43 PM.