View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
I've never used an angle grinder to cut out a blade so I can't really compare that to a bandsaw. I can say that I can cut out a typical 4" hunter easily under 5 minutes. That's minimal noise, no sparks, inside the shop, and pretty close to the desired profile...
This - nice when it's cold/wet outside. Also just like a side grinder, you will wind up using it for a lot of other task you haven't thought about due to convenience.

Keep a watch on CL and yardsale stuff. I have two Milwaukees in my shop - one converted to the stand and one in original box. They both get used a lot. Neither cost me north of $100. The stand one was $30 because the handle was cracked and the cord cut and mangled (replaced with pigtail from one of the burner side grinders). Never bought a "new" one.

Like dtec stated, with a bit of planning you can cut pretty close to profile and pretty quick.

ps - blade lube is for the back or spine of the blade to prevent binding in curves, usually only serves to clog teeth by holding chips & fras when using on cutting edge.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H