View Single Post
Old 05-29-2018, 08:15 AM
Skilled

Jim,

Glad you mentioned that about the handle, I don't know if I would've realized the proportions until it was too late. A pommel was something I was afraid I might have to do. Hopefully not, but we'll see.

I wasn't planning on quenching in water for this knife, just wanted to see if someone thought canola would work and it appears it does, thanks. I don't have a torch, so drawing it back isn't an option but I have clay quenched smaller blades before, which is why i was curious if that would work. I'll likely either edge quench or do a clay quench.

I still use the 2x42. It's been a workhorse for me. Hopefully I can get a 2x72 someday but right now I can't justify spending the money on one.

I actually heat treat in a temperature controlled furnace at work. I'm not very good at heat treating with a forge and the temperature control removes any doubts in my heat treat. I've tested multiple samples using this method and it produces an extremely fine grain when broken.

I have mostly 5/32 which is why I was going to try for that thickness but I think I still have some 3/16 1084 laying around so maybe I'll go that route. I definitely plan on full flat grinds and I'm considering a distal taper as well, despite the fact that I've never done one.

Hopefully I don't end up as heavy as a kukri. I want something that can be used as a fighter or as a utility knife. I imagine that a well balanced blade would perform better but I know little to nothing about knives of this size. Most of my work to this point has been medium-small hunting/edc knives, this is an area pretty much unexplored for me.

Thanks for the advice Jim. Nice knife by the way!