View Single Post
Old 04-04-2016, 06:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
First, if you're going to use a blower on a forge, do yourself a favor and use a blower that is actually designed for a forge application. Although a lot of folks get away with "squirrel cage" blowers, its usually just asking for trouble. The blower I recommend is:

http://www.blacksmithsdepot.com/prod...e-blowers.html I know they are expensive, but if you go for the highest CFM model (164 CFM) you can always dial the blower and fuel back to fit your needs....BUT, if you try to use a blower that is too small, you only have some much blower to work with.

As to a controller for this type of blower.... personally I recommend using a Ceiling Fan speed controller. DO NOT use a light dimmer switch! The blower will last about 5 minutes before the windings burn out if a light dimmer switch is used!

The two look a lot alike (light dimmer switch and ceiling fan speed controller) but the ceiling fan speed controller is going to be about 2-3X the price of a light dimmer switch ($18-&25). It's built to actually work with a rotating motor. Wiring is super simple, and pretty much self-explanatory.... once you see the ceiling fan speed controller, it will be obvious.

I use the 164cfm blower that I posted the link to, and its been hooked up/used to a ceiling fan speed controllers for over a dozen years now, with zero problems.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."