View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Fitz,

Heck no, it's not an interruption! Hopefully, you'll join in and get involved, everyone is welcome.

No, no other words have been defined as yet. I chose to start on 'Custom' under the mistaken beliefe that it would be a no brainer since the meaning of the word is so well established in colloqial English. However, some good points have been made for other interpretations as well. So, we've listened to arguments for different definitions, rendered them down to two choices currently (there could be more choices if someone offers another reasonable alternative), and we (the KNET community at large) are preparing to vote by Poll on which definition will be accepted. Prior to the actual vote, I've printed the definitions above to get comments and refinements before the actual vote.

To answer your question, a kit blade with red dymondwood handle would be considered 'custom' by either of the two definitions I have offered because #1 basically accepts the de facto meaning to be any knife produced by an individual and #2 only requiers that the knife be ordered. That's not entirely bad, such a knife is 'custom' under those circumstances. That doesn't mean it is hand made, hand crafted, forged, or anything else - all of which remain to be defined. In the end, one or more of those terms will mitigate the circumstances surrounding the 'custom' knife.

As for the third definition currently under review, the knife in question would not be 'custom' under that definition. Unfortunately, that definition has some serious short comings (my opinion, of course) that renders it seriously problematic in many other cases.

We'd welcome your input on all three of these definitions (viewable within the last three or four posts). We are only trying to define one word - custom - and we see no reason at this time for that definition to include any information on the methods used to actually produce the knife as that will be covered more thoroughly by other terms...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!