View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Need some Help with knives in GA

Hello to all on the board. My name is Rick and I am as about as new to knife making as you can get. I am real eager to learn and I try to read as much as I can so I do not have to ask a lot of basic question and forums like this are what made me decide to give it a try. I went and Got Wayne Goddard?s book ?The Fifty Dollar Knife Shop? and I have started to get the things I need. I think I have what I need to do material removal knives and I am working on gathering the things for a forged knife. I would like to make a proposal to anyone in the Atlanta area to help me out. Maybe just an hour here and there over a cup of coffee, beer or 14 year old single malt scotch whatever I?m not that picky. I would love to watch you go through the precess of making a forged knife and a material removal one then let me ask a bunch of questions and take notes. Not just on the knife making process but on setting up a small shop and purchasing gear. If you also do leather work (sheaths) that would be a plus because I will need some place to put the knives when I am through.
Now what I have to offer is besides eagerness to learn how to do it right, but I have 22 some odd years Flyfishing, flytying and a few years of rod building. I even owned a guide service for about four years up in North Carolina. I flyfish for anything from small mountain trout, panfish in fresh water and to tarpon and shark in the salt. I can teach you how to cast and fly fish for many species of fish. As for rod building well I just do not have that much experience I have only built about 10 rods although I do believe they came out very nice but not perfect
If you have no desire to learn how to fly fish or tie then maybe I can help you around your place with some good old manual labor.
I just really would like someone to take me under their wing and help to guide me through the process of making a knife I would be proud to own and give as a gift
Thanks for listening and I look forward to learning much more from the forum.
Rick