View Single Post
Old 09-19-2007, 11:28 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armory414
100 years ago knives were almost exclusively tools. You either bought a tool (knife) that was made in the big city with modern equipment, or you bought it locally made by a blacksmith. There wasn't that big of a distinction. Then, to pay thousands of dollars for a knife just because it had certain materials and had someone's name on it was unheard of. Really, that development has only arisen in the last 30 years or so.
That being the case, I submit no definitions are needed at all. All the collector cares about is whose name is on the blade. WE (the makers) seem to be the only ones who really care exactly how it was done.

Collectors will always want to know up to a point, since they like buzzwords and "secret" techniques and processes, but come on, you can't really call a Randall knife handmade anymore by these definitions but that hasn't dampened the market, has it?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, that's just my opinion.

I submit the following terminology: Factory knife, Kit knife, custom production knife (i.e. Randall etc.), and handmade knife. So there!