View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 05:31 PM
Master

Sounds like the making bug is getting you. Great!

Doug makes a good point about the cost efficiency to be up and running against the fabrication aspect of making machines. Some enjoy that challenge and if one has the background to build, that's great. Used gear is available as makers move up the chain in machines. The efficiency using a nice tool makes the process more enjoyable and reliable. My mentors stated buy good gear since they had gone through the steps. They gave me a list and I gradually acquired those recommendations.

The machine that is iffy in my shop is the 12" Harbor Freight benchtop drill press. It was a gamble and I knew that going in. A buddy got some of the decent ones so he suggested this would be a chance. Not in my case. The head is not perpendicular to the table and regardless how I attempted to shim it, the table also has squareness issues. This was a secondary drill press for low level tasks that a critical hole wasn't needed. Leather and Kydex sheaths and polishing various parts are the primary uses. The Jet 14" drill press does the main drilling, tapping and such.