View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Guru

I would agree with ray. I don't know anything about the material your trying to use. So from what ray says it sounds like a great challenge. But even putting all that aside. If you have a limited supply of any material you want to make a knife from. Do NOT use that material on your first few knives cause the chance of messing it up is so high and if you have a limited amount and you mess it up then you will be more than a lil upset. I to overreached when I started I wanted my first knife to be a fairly complicated piece of Damascus I was going to make. Once I made a few mistakes I smartened up and with help from people on this forum I learned to heat treat. If your knife isn't properly heat treated its only a "knife shaped object" learning to heat treat will take a lot of trial and error and testing. And if you do it the right way you will be breaking the first few knives on purpose its the only way to tell if you got it right. So In short put that material aside get some 1084 steel build a forge and go from there. There are many of us here that are more than willing to help. I have only recently started making folding knives. I would sugest well learn heat treating first but even after that make some fixed blades learn the skills and then try a folding knife. to make a GOOD folding knife requires more accuracy than fixed blades.
That being said WELCOME this is a very enjoyable hobby but it can be a lil addictive to once you get started but i guess that's part of the fun too.