View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Guru

I agree if your just using washer like .02 or thiner you don't need to recess them at all.....I have been making bearing flipper folders recently and at that point you do need to recess the bearings partly if its a 1/16th thick bearing (.0625) I recess the pockets .045 so if you lay the bearing in the the balls sit just tall of the linner so the blade can ride on them....The easiest way I have found to do this (it will work IF you want to recess you washers) first you drill the pivot hole (I use a 3/16th pivot) then you get a COUNTER BORE a counter bore has a PILOT BIT that will slide in and out of it... its not a drill its simple a 3/16th (you want the pilot to match the pivot hole) the pilot slides into the counterbore then I put that in the mill (you can use a drill press IF you drill press is perfectly squared but I find the mill more accurate) so then I place a 123 block on the mill table and lay the liner on that so the pilot slides through the pivot hole and keeps everything centered...then you just slowly lower the counterbore down onto the liner it will create a perfect circle centered around the pivot with a flat bottom..you must get a counter bore that is the same size of the diameter of your washers or bearings or SLIGHTLY bigger will work best..I guess it could be done with a end mill but that creates the major problem of how to make sure it is dead centered around that pivot I don't think you will have much luck that way....by the way MSCDIRECT.COM has counter bores in all sizes however I get mine from TIconnector.com because I buy there bearings and they have a carbide counter bore to match....carbide last much longer but I don't know what material your using for the liners steel or titanium but you want at least a cobalt one...I got a couple HSS ones and going into titanium they dulled very very quickly