View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 11:53 PM
Steel Addict

I would recommend you find the book "Handles and Guards" by MS Joe Keeslar. His wire inlay work is impeccable and the book has a good explanation of how to make your own tools, the wire size to get and where to get it. Pure silver is softer than sterling silver and is easier to work. "Work hardening" happens as non-ferrous metal is processed to the desired shape by using a rolling mill. After the metal goes through the rolling mill 3 times (IIRC) the metal will become 'tougher and springy'. The metal is then annealed (heated and then quickly quenched) to return the metal to original state of ductability.

A refinery will sell metal according to 'hardness'. "Dead soft" refers to metal that has been through the rolling mill one time, 'half hard' is when the metal has been run through the rolling mill two times. "Fully hard" refers to metal that has been run through the rolling mill three times. Each hardness has different working properties. I would suggest 'dead soft' wire for inlay.

I am starting out with pure copper wire as silver is expensive. I haven't sourced it in the size I want yet. I'll let you all know what I find as far as copper goes.