View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Skilled

Good looking knife and sheath. It appears that you had the advantage of some good instructors and paid attention in class. I'm sure others will chime in but I'll throw my two cents worth in on your question. I usually stop my welt a little before the folded over part of the sheath. I don't think that it hurts to have a small gap for ventilation on a using sheath especially if you are going to use carbon steel in your blade. That might be more useful down here in the south where the rain doesn't freeze much. I also stop my stitches before I get to the end of the sheath, maybe as much as 3/8 of an inch. It keeps from pinching the leather and closing up the little gap I mentioned. The bend in the leather for the spine of the sheath should be made while the leather is damp. This helps keep the bend in a smaller area and keeps the leather from cracking. On a sheath using thick leather (9 to 10 oz) I like to skive a little off the inside where the bend will take place. This also helps make the bend easier on the dampened leather. The picture below will show you what I tried to say in the sentences above. I hope