View Single Post
Old 11-08-2017, 07:41 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Dave.
The handle isn't completely finished yet, I just got it to the point that it felt good in my hand so I could do the testing.

As I indicated in my previous post, the primary bevel is done using a jig to hold the blade at a very precise angle while grinding, but the secondary bevel is done by eye. I clamp the tang of the blade in my bench vise and lock it precisely horizontal. I do most of the secondary bevel with a large mill file, but after I have both sides about half done I check it with an angle gauge so I can adjust it if necessary. This blade has about a 21 - 22 degree angle. I then smooth each side of the bevel with a 6 inch very fine double cut jewelers file before heat treating, leaving a hair fine "flat" on the edge. Final sharpening it done by hand with a series of quality hones, regular stone and/or diamond. Several people have told me that I have a "talent" for sharpening knives, not sure how true that is, but I haven't found a knife yet that I can't put an edge on the blade that will shave hair. How long that edge lasts depends on the quality of the knife!

Yes, I've seen aluminum rods at the big box stores, I'll pick some up next time I'm there. But, is it necessary for me to be able to "see" the deflection for the test to work??? I wear reading glasses while doing close work, but if I do the steps correctly, just because I can't see deflection doesn't mean that it isn't there. After doing the test with the 1 inch brass rod I could see a fine shiny line around the rod where the edge had contacted it. Wouldn't this be an indication of correct contact?

Yeah, I am aware that unfortunately the coloring won't be very durable, but I wanted to get an idea of how long it would last during use before just polishing it off with 600 grit paper.
The last step I do when finishing a knife it to apply a product called Renaissance Wax. It is used by museums to protect their artifacts. It is very durable, and comes in gloss and semi-gloss. It works great on both metal and wood. I put some on this blade just to see if it would enhance the color, which it did. Like car wax, you put it on, let it dry, then buff with soft a cloth.