View Single Post
Old 03-20-2003, 08:47 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Interesting article. Thanks for sharing that. I had heard about Supracor some time ago, but received very little encouragement from Crucible to try it. Since then, I've learned more. What Crucible is learning on some of the very high carbide CPM's is that there is indeed a balance between impact toughness and "wear resistance" when measured in real world applications, i.e. outside of steel testing laboratories. For instance, CPM-3V has outperformed CPM-10V (about the same impact toughness as S90V) in stamping die applications, primarily due to microchipping of the 10V which quickly erodes fine edges. That experience can also apply to the fine edges on knives, and often does. The issue really isn't so much a concern for the blade breaking, which certainly should set off some mental alarms before it happens, but microchipping along the edge is largely invisible and the first indication it's happened is when the blade is completely dull long before it should be. With 46% total carbides, sharpening Supracor will exhaust most efforts.

Thanks again for all the effort that went into the translation and posting the article.

New Email Address: jerry@hossom.com