View Single Post
Old 11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Skilled

I second Ed 100% I would like to add that on what ever cylinder you get you also want to get a cylinder with a 3" ram anything smaller will just cause you grief.

My press is a totally different animal and is not relevant to your build but thought I would mention what it is as I had a problem caused by the previous owner that could have hurt me seriously or killed me, it is a commercially made press that is 26 tons. It is a C frame and has 4" cylinder, I don't have the GPM info but it is a single stage and the ram does move about 1" per second and it runs at 10,000 psi. The scary thing is the guy I bought it from had to replace a hose and used a 3000 psi hose. The very first time I went and used the press the hose failed and when I went to the Power Team dealer I was informed someone put the wrong hose on it. SO make sure your hoses are rated for the working PSI of the press. After this I got with the rep and we did a safety check to ensure there was no more inadequate equipment on the press.

I have the same problem as Ed with I do not have room to use tools like drifts, cutters or the likes. I do have an advantage that my cylinder height is adjustable and right now it is in the middle position so I could move it up but would have to rearrange the hoses and raise my reservoir, but rather think I will make a new press with a longer stroke in the 12" - 14" range. I do like the C frame configuration so will stay with that.

Like Ed said don't SKIMP this thing could seriously injure or kill you. They have so much power it is truly unreal so use great caution.

www.turnerknives.com