View Single Post
Old 07-23-2003, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Ed,

The technique you?ve suggested, sounds like a previous posting, if I remember correctly. Ori Awasi San Mai method (couldn?t remember that name, so I looked it up in ?The Complete Bladesmith?) I believe J. Loose and yourself had a discussion about the construction of this type of Japanese design.
As the cutting edge will be the 01, a low count of layers on the pattern-welded material wouldn?t matter, as it will have low carbon in the mix.
I?ve been looking at this stack of material, 9 pieces of low carbon, and 8 pieces of high carbon, (still waiting for the 01). If I started welding as is, I?d have 16 welds to perform at once?phew?too much.
I think I?ll spit the stack in half and do two separate billets, the previous billet that I had success with is that amount of steel in the stack, 5 low carbon, and 4 high carbon.
If the welded billets look good after removing the scale, I?ll try adding a ladder pattern to it. As it will be welded to 01, should I grind the 2 billets, (1 side only for pattern), stack to the 01, weld in one operation, then draw out to final length and flatten the ladder groves in second operation?

Danbo,

This if from a Master Bladesmiths? publication, ?Do not worry about the mild steel being folded into the center of the bar since by the time you are done with all of the weld/forge/fold/weld processes, the mild steel will be scaled off from the outside surfaces and the high-carbon/low-carbon laminations will be welded into the center where the edge will be. ? But using the method described by Ed, the mild steel in the mix will be a moot point, as the blade will have a tool steel edge.
By the way, Stevie Ray Vaughn RULES!!

Fitzo,

My previous pattern welded blade has only 36 layers, after heat treatment, a low carbon edge of about 3/8?, which would not stay sharp, not good for a knife. As it was an exercise in welding, the edge was not the main concern.

If everything in my mind, comes out onto the steel, I?ll be happy.

Member of NECKA & NCCA

Last edited by T Blade; 07-24-2003 at 04:23 AM.