Thread: Elmax HT
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 AM
Guru

https://www.bladeops.com/Articles.asp?ID=272

If you have it already it then fine. I'm sure you've seen the standard HT data here.
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/zda...eelS-Elmax.htm

I have reached a point that what the heck difference does it make between S3V or Elmax except stainless properties. Between S30V to S35VN and S110V a small amount of silicon, Vanadium is the difference and some flexibility. Nothing you can determine by hand or by eye. Next axe I make will be L6 or 4140 with a piece of 15N20 layered in between.

My D2 knives will hold up to most just about any knife use it could be put through. I do not harden my knives past RC 60-61 as most people cannot sharpen them. No offense made to anyone here. My HT of D2 would be better than most anyone's. It is measured in degrees.
I was told I should HT AEB-L to RC 62, but if it has the wrong edge on it it will be chippy (sorry stuart, even with the silicon). Besides I have had customers come back and complain their knives will not take an edge because they are too hard. Pisses me off having to sharpen a knife for someone who cut on a china plate or glass cutting board. They didn't hear me when I said they need a diamond sharpener. I give 400 grit diamond sharpeners with some blades and have to tell them to keep the blade away from a grinder cause they'll turn the tip of the blade blue.

I do not sell to collectors/professionals except one butcher and she wanted a carver and a boning knife and she used a diamond round to hold the edge about once or twice a week at RC61, D2. I am a hobbyist with a fair modicum of experience, but do not have a name in the business, besides local. But as anyone has noticed, I will share what I do know. I have a fair amount of knowledge in metallurgy and certain steels, but obviously not all.

Ask me about D2 and I'll show you a trick or two, plus was a Machine shop Heat treater. No expert, but can HT 4140 to RC 60. Some dry ice goes a long ways. Give me XX50+ and I can do a thing or two with it you wouldn't think possible depending on alloy.

Call Hinderliter HT in OKC, OK USA, they used to be very helpful to me and taught me much. Under different control now, but still helpful, in Dallas now too.