View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 05:03 PM
Guru

Those look nice Mike. I wasn't sure what you meant by 'ice cubes' and then went "oh ice cubes! lol
I have a box of 1/4" acrylic lexan/plexiglass, about 8"x8" remnants from a job we did and thought you could glue up some small squares until l figured out what you meant.

There's a trick to gluing lexan a lot of people don't know, you can weld it with either a small torch or acetone. I knew a guy who made custom aquariums part-time and he used both methods, I swear he could weld with a tiny torch head a butt joint you could barely see. Corner joints he just used acetone because it melts it too. He said it was much cheaper and less messy than glue. I used acetone to make some cool square piggy banks for my kids and it works very well and hardly leaves a trace to be seen if you're careful.
Two other things when working with plexiglass, first, use smaller teeth on your table saw, about like for wood veneer is about right and if drilling holes the 135 degree point on standard drills tends to make cracks, especially thin material like 1/4". The company that gave me the remnants I had had me resharpen their drill bits for lexan. You need to take the point to 90% or sharper. Small bites is necessary.