View Full Version : Silly (STUPID) laws

KnifeWife
10-16-2002, 02:34 PM
In Marshalltown, Iowa, horses are forbidden to eat fire hydrants.

In Michigan, a woman isn't allowed to cut her own hair without her husband's permission.

In Los Angeles, California, you cannot bathe two babies in the same tub at the same time.

In Miami, Florida, it's illegal for men to be seen publicly in any kind of strapless gown.

In Idaho, state law makes it illegal for a man to give his sweetheart a box of candy weighing less than fifty pounds.

In Lexington, Kentucky, it's illegal to carry an ice cream cone in your pocket.

In Kansas City, Missouri, minors are not allowed to purchase cap pistols; they may buy shotguns freely, however.

In Pennsylvania, state law prohibits singing in the bathtub.

In Virginia, law forbids bathtubs in the house; tubs must be kept in the yard.

In Seattle, Washington, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon that is over six feet in length.

In Tennessee, it is illegal to shoot any game other than whales from a moving automobile.

In Tulsa, Oklahoma, it is against the law to open a soda bottle without the supervision of a #######d engineer.

In Oxford, Ohio, it's illegal for a woman to strip off her clothing while standing in front of a man's picture.

In New Hampshire, law forbids you to tap your feet, nod your head, or in any way keep time to the music in a tavern, restaurant, or caf?.

In Massachusetts, there is a law requiring all dogs to have their hind legs tied during the month of April.

In California, animals are banned from mating publicly within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school, or place of worship.

In Willodale, Oregon, it's against the law for a husband to talk dirty during sex.

In Nicholas County, West Virginia, no member of the clergy is allowed to tell jokes or humorous stories from the pulpit during a church service.

In Carrizozo, New Mexico, it's forbidden for a female to appear unshaven in public (includes legs and face).

In Los Angeles, a man is legally entitled to beat his wife with a leather belt or strap, but the belt can't be wider than 2 inches, unless he has his wife's consent to beat her with a wider strap.

In Kansas, No one may catch fish with his bare hands.
In Utah, It is against the law to fish from horseback.

In Zion, Illinois, it is illegal for anyone to give lighted cigars to dogs, cats, and other domesticated animals kept as pets.

In Gary, Indiana, persons are prohibited from attending a movie house or other theater and from riding a public streetcar within four hours of eating garlic.

In Texas, law forbids anyone to have a pair of pliers in his possession.

In Pennsylvania, no more than two packages of beer at a time may be purchased, unless you are buying from an official "beer distributor".

In Washington, all lollipops are banned.

Jamey Saunders
10-16-2002, 03:20 PM
I read one of those several years ago that stated that here in Georgia it's illegal for a man to attend church unless he is carrying a loaded rifle.

fitzo
10-16-2002, 04:22 PM
i live one town over from Zion, IL. it was founded by a religious zealot, and is a bastion of ridiculous, archaic laws. it's also illegal to spit in that town.....

jdlange
10-24-2002, 11:53 AM
I live in PA and here is a bit more info on that STUPID beer law, you can buy two six packs from a bar at bar prices but no more than that at once, if you buy from a distributor you cannot buy less than a case(24) at a time. Whats the logic there?

Heres another, there only a limited number of liquor licesenses, so you cannot get a new one from the state, you have to buy an existing one from a business, so if you want to open a bar you have to wait for one to go out of business and buy their ####### from them.

Martyn
10-24-2002, 12:35 PM
In London, black taxi cabs are required by law to carry a bail of hay in the back.

Brett Schaller
11-17-2002, 01:27 AM
Some of my favorites:

In a town in Illinois ( I forget the name of the town) it is illegal to practice knife throwing on men in striped suits.

In Indiana, when two trains meet at a grade crossing each must stop and neither can proceed until the other has gone.

In British Columbia, jailers must bring imprisoned debtors a beer on demand.

Canadian Federal Flight Regulations state that no one may enter a plane in flight. Passengers may also not leave a plane in flight unless it is to make a parachute descent, and in that case they must be wearing a parachute.

Roger Gregory
11-17-2002, 05:45 AM
Nice thread Pat, I love these laws :)

In Vermont it is illegal to whistle underwater. (not to say, stupid!)

In Atlanta it's against the law to tie a giraffe to a telephone pole or a street lamp. (well what are you supposed to tie them to?)

Women in Joliet, Illinois, can be arrested for trying on more than six dresses in one store. (Excellent law! I want that introduced in England :) )

You can't kill a squirrel with a gun in a courtroom in Canton, Mississippi. (spoilsports!)

An ordinance in Lawrence, Kansas, forbids anyone to carry bees in his hat while on the city streets.

In Florida, its illegal to have sexual relations with a porcupine. (people need to be told?)

In Boise, Idaho, residents may not fish from a giraffe's back. (but I wonder if they're allowed to tie the animal to a telegraph pole when they go into town?)

In New Orleans, Louisana, you may not tie an alligator to a fire hydrant. (are street lamps and telegraph poles okay?)

In Minnesota, women may face up to 30 days in jail if they impersonate Santa Claus.

In Florida, if you tie an elephant to a parking meter, you still have to pay the meter. (ah, I am starting to see the logic of all those other animal rules....)

In Texas, a recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed. (oh, I bet that works...)

Also in Texas the entire Encyclopedia Britannica is banned because it contains a formula for making beer at home (politicians have nothing better to do with their time...)

In West Virginia a person may not hold public office if he or she has ever participated in a duel.

In West Virginia, there is a law prohibiting "corrupt practices of bribery by any person other than candidates." (those good old politicians again!)

Also in Virginia it is illegal to tickle women. (spoilsports!)

I'll have to drag up some of our weird old laws too :)

Roger

Colin KC
11-17-2002, 06:44 AM
Don't worry Roger, I've got that covered;)

If a self-propelled carriage is driven on the Queens highway (any road) then a man must walk 4 miles in front of it waving a red flag (by day) and a red lantern by night.

It is illegal to drive a self-propelled carriage any faster than 4 MPH on the Queens highway.

All males over the age of 14 are to carry out 2 hours of longbow practice every week, supervised by a member of the clergy.

London Hackney carriages (taxi cabs) must carry a sack of oats and a bale of hey.

It is illegal to be intoxicated on #######d premises .( All pubs, bars and cocktail lounges)
It is illegal to impersonate a Chelsea Pensioner.

It is illegal to heckle the town crier.

Hanging a bed out of a window for any purpose is Illegal.

It is illegal to leave luggage unattended.

It is construed as an act of terrorism to pick up any abandoned luggage.

It is Illegal for any member of Parliament to enter the House of Commons wearing a full suit of armour.

A male may legally urinate in public as long as it is over the rear wheel of his vehicle and his right hand is touching the vehicle at the same time.

It is illegal to commit suicide and carries an imprisonment sentence. (repealed )

Interfering with the Monarchs mail or sleeping with the consort of the Monarch is Highly illegal and carries the maximum penalty of death by hanging. (repealed in 1998)

Placing a postage stamp that bears a picture of the Monarch upside down is treason and carries a life sentence.

A lady can not eat chocolate on public transport.

It is illegal to eat mince pies on Christmas day.

Colin KC
11-17-2002, 06:47 AM
...In Chester: You MAY shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow within the city walls after midnight only.

But, In Hereford: It is illegal to shoot a Welshman in a Cathedral with a long bow on Sundays.

Whilst, In York: It is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a long bow on any day of the week except Sundays.

Colin KC
11-17-2002, 06:55 AM
...In Alaska: It is an offence to push a live moose from an airplane.

&, In Arkansas: Arkansas MUST be pronounced 'Arkansaw' at all times.

In California: Police can arrest you if you shoot any animal from a moving vehicle except a whale.

In Conneticut: A pickle MUST be able to bounce before it can legally be called a pickle.

In Kinnesaw, Georgia: You MUST own a firearm.

& In Hawaii: You MUST own a boat.

But I think the best is, In Maine: Stepping out of a plane in flight carries a jail sentence.:confused:

Colin KC
11-17-2002, 07:00 AM
In Florida, if you tie an elephant to a parking meter, you still have to pay the meter. (ah, I am starting to see the logic of all those other animal rules....)

& In louisiana: You may NEVER tie an alligator to a fire hydrant. (I guess it make firefighters work a tad more risky) but I should think it's ok to tie 'em to a parking meter...:p

hammerdownnow
11-17-2002, 08:16 AM
In Sheiffield Lake Ohio it is illegal for a dog to have fleas.

Brett Schaller
11-17-2002, 10:41 PM
In Kinnesaw Georgia you MUST own a firearm?

I LIKE that one.

Bet they have a pretty low crime rate.

Jamey Saunders
11-18-2002, 08:10 AM
...and crime in Kennesaw is pretty much non-existant.

The PC crowd really hates for people to talk about Kennesaw, Georgia.

KnifeWife
11-19-2002, 05:46 PM
And our brothers to the north....

Canada
-30% of a radio stations content must be "Canadian Content".
-You may not pay for a fifty-cent item with only pennies.
-Citizens may not publicly remove bandages.
-It is illegal for clear or non-dark sodas to contain caffeine.
-No one in Canada may watch or listen to an encrypted broadcast which is not #######d by the Canadian government. --This means using US satellite systems such as "DirecTV" is illegal.
-It is illegal to kill a sick person by frightening them.
-It is illegal to pretend to practice witchcraft.

Alberta
-Businesses must provide rails for tying up horses.
-Wooden logs may not be painted.
-You may never use dice to play craps. (So what do you use?)
-If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.
(Presumably without stopping first...)

Cobourg

If you have a water trough in your front yard it must be filled by 5:00 a.m.

Etobicoke

Bylaw states that no more than 3.5 inches of water is allowed in a bathtub.

Gananoque

Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks.

Guelph

The city is classified as a no-pee zone. (That would be a lot of commuting just to pee all day...)

Kanata

The color of house and garage doors is regulated by city bylaws (a purple door gets you a fine). It is also illegal to have a clothes line in your backyard. (Put it in the front yard - so much more attractive.)

You can't work on your car in the street.

Oshawa

It's illegal to climb trees.

Homeowners are responsible for clearing snow off of municipal sidewalks. If sidewalks is not cleaned within 24 hours after a snowfall, city workers will clean it and the cost will be placed on the homeowners tax bill.

Ottawa

It is illegal to eat ice-cream on Bank Street on a Sunday.

Toronto

You can't drag a dead horse down Yonge Street on a Sunday.

Uxbridge

Residents are not allowed to have an Internet connection faster than 56k. (Now that one's just STUPID.)

Wawa

You may not paint a ladder as it will be slippery when wet. (DUH!)

It is illegal to show public affection on Sunday.

Varjeal
11-22-2002, 12:44 PM
It is only legal to shoot an Indian in North Dakota if you have your wagons in a circle.

btw, I enjoyed the Canadian and particularly the Alberta laws. Guess I better go make one of them hitching rails.......:rolleyes: