View Full Version : Classic KnifeKits Contest # 1

ghen
09-24-2002, 04:36 PM
Okay, I have hinted around long enough; here is the 1st Official Classic KnifeKits Contest!

THE NEED:

Classic KnifeKits products offer a promise that goes beyond the bunch of parts you see in the kits. All of you prove that with every picture posted. We need to be able to highlight the promise of the product to insure our company continues to grow. More growth will allow more designs, special editions, and so on.

In a nutshell, we need samples to show interested parties the possibilities our kits provide.

Now, we have access (obviously) to some very talented people, and we could simply drop a few e-mails, and get some rocking pieces, but that isn?t as much fun as a CONTEST!

THE IDEA:

This contest applies ONLY to the following models: GPC-1000; GX-6; and TC-4. Contestants can enter as many completed kits as they want. Contestants can enter more than 1 model of kit.

Step 1. Purchase your kit(s) through whatever channels you currently use.

Step 2. Finish the kits using your very best work. The only restrictions are as follows:

 No precious metals.
 No gems.
 Completed knife cannot be signed, or maker?s marked in any way.

Step 3. E-mail us at Sales@knifekits.com Put "Contest Submission" in the subject line. In the message let us know you have a contest knife. We will arrange for shipping to Atlanta for professional filming. The knife will then be judged by Darrel & Jerry. The judging will be anonymous. Neither Darrel or Jerry will know who has submitted which knife.

Step 4: From the photo entries, the judges will pick five (5) finalists per kit model. We will contact the maker, and pay to have the knives shipped to us at Classic KnifeKits. When all finalists have been received, we will determine a winner. Finalists will get their knives back, the winners will have the honor of having their knives displayed (along with a ?finished by? placard) at all of the premier knife shows in the world (Blade Show, SHOT Show etc.).

THE PRIZES:

Finalists receive:

One (1) free base kit of their choosing.

Winners in each category receive the following:
 A $100.00 Classic KnifeKits gift certificate!
 A replacement kit for whatever model you submitted.
 Out of pocket expenses reimbursed for materials used on the winning knife.
 International recognition at various cutlery events.
 Major bragging rights on the forums.

Once there is a winner for each model, we will then name a ?BEST OF THE BEST? finished kit. That maker will be ?Kit Maker Of The Year?.

?Kit Maker Of The Year? receives the same prizes as our category winners (since he/she will BE one of the category winners) PLUS a Kalamazoo grinder, and recognition with a maker profile on our website!

Everyone gets the ability to really flex their creative and artistic muscles. No matter what, competing in this contest will help your skills grow.

Just to make this absolutely clear: If you win your category, we use your finished kit as a sample. Ownership reverts to Classic KnifeKits. You get back the same kit model, plus out of pocket expenses (with verifiable receipts) for material (s) used to build the kit. These materials are only those used in the kit itself (ie exotic wood handles, brass bolsters etc.) not materials used/consumed during the making or finishing of the kits (ie. Sanding discs, grinding wheels etc.)

FINALISTS WILL BE NAMED DECEMBER 1, 2002.

THE CONTEST WILL END, AND WINNERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED JANUARY 1, 2003.

KNAdmin
09-25-2002, 02:54 AM
We had a typo on the dates. Please use the revised dates above for submission and grading deadlines.

All finalist knives will be sent to Atlanta for filming (our expense) so that all knives to be finally judged will have print images available for our magazine article editors and ultimately for your personal web use.

Alex

Osprey Guy
09-25-2002, 08:02 AM
Considering when the GX's are being released, I thought Nov.1 seemed kinda tight.
I knew you wouldn't want us rushing our "masterpieces.";)

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Kelly Carlson
09-25-2002, 09:00 AM
Great contest idea!
Will international recognition includes an invitation to next year's Blade show?
I'm sure the winner(s) will be happy to man the KnifeKits table in exchange for coach travel and a standard room at the Renaissance.
No precious metals, no gems is clear, but just what components of the kit must be used?
- now if my GPC's and/or GX's would finally arrive.

Osprey Guy
09-25-2002, 10:28 AM
I'll offer up a second to Kelly's suggestion of winners going to next year's Blade.

It's one thing to consider the possibility of winning a touch of publicity (not to diminish that, or the "bragging rights";))...and maybe even the remote chance of a $200 K'zoo finishing grinder, in exchange for what will most likely be a $500+ knife (If what I've been offered for each of my last 4 kit knives is any indication). But the idea of going to blade representing my knife and knifekits,...now that would certainly rev anybody's jets.

Now as to Kelly, who's probably thinking of grinding his own wonderful, damascus blade and/or bolster...:D ;)

By the way, who's judging the contest?:rolleyes: :evil :rolleyes:

Dennis

ghen
09-25-2002, 01:31 PM
There are so many variables to consider when offering airfare as a reward/prize that we do not feel it is a direction we want to go.

Any category winner that wants an "Exhibitor" pass to the Blade show can get one.

The judging will be done by Alex, Darrel, and me (Jerry) AKA The Three Horsemen.

There are no "required" components, or percentage of components that are required. We want these knives to be representative of our products, yet we also want to show the growth and possibilities inherent in the product. Use your best judgement.

PEACE

Colin KC
09-25-2002, 04:19 PM
How long before the Dec 1st announcement should the posts be in? (the cutoff date for entries)

ghen
09-25-2002, 04:34 PM
Any e-mails received before December 1st will be considered.

KNAdmin
09-25-2002, 06:23 PM
Men,

Please do not post preliminary images of your contest knives in this or any other public arena. I will film each knife in an anonymous image set and post them. I'll be sending the knives up to OHIO without letting the other judges know their authorship for the voting. The best built kit knife will win on it's own merits.

Dennis, the real $$$ value of this contest is the "title". The grinder is just a door prize for the effort being made. There are a lot of guys that would be happy to have another new grinder in their shop, but a businessman would trade 10 grinders for that title, I would speculate. Don't invest more than you can afford, though. It's like a poker hand ... only invest what you can afford to loose. There are some unreal kit makers out here that you haven't heard from yet ... and, several, right here, that aren't going to lay down, for sure. If you win this contest, and you can, you'll have to beat some of the "best" to do it!
What's that worth to you?

Alex

ghen
09-25-2002, 07:00 PM
As Alex mentioned, the submission process has changes to assure the fairness of the process.

THE BEST KNIFE WINS!!

Peace

GHEN

Osprey Guy
09-25-2002, 07:22 PM
Alex and Co.-

Please don't misunderstand me. I'm definitely in! That was never at question for me. That still doesn't stop me from wrestling a bit with the rationale at a time when money is very tight for yours truly...and I really have had an easy time at selling my knives for good money. It's as simple as that. (See my recent post in this forum about my knife sales)

My concept and design was basically completed yesterday, and I'm pulling out all the stops! I began work on the knife late last night. This could take me awhile so don't hold your breath, I will have it submitted in time.

Yes getting the title would be very cool, I for one am going for the glory!:lol

Dennis

ghen
09-25-2002, 07:24 PM
Well Dennis, we won't hold our breath, but with you pulling out all the stops, I am sure it will take our breath away!

GordonK
10-01-2002, 11:57 AM
Gosh - I go away for a few weeks and look what happens!!

What a great idea!!! I finally got a bit of schedule relief from my day job so I can actually spend some on this hobby. 60 to 80 hour weeks can be a real drag!! Actually, I've been able to play a bit over the last couple of weeks, but not a lot. I'm just setting up a light box at home and I'll if I can FINALLY get some pics posted.

I've had a chance to play with some stock removal stuff and a bit of tempering. My poor 1X30 has sure taken a beating!!! It's been a great learning experience - I can tell you that much - and great fun!!

I have a question about the contest - Can we or should we submit a sheath with the knife?

Thx - gord

ghen
10-01-2002, 03:57 PM
For three days following this year's Blade show, I got to hang out with Jerry Fisk (National Living Treasure). We talked for many hours about ABS judging and the like. His description of the judging impressed me as a truly fair, non-political process (something the custom knife world needs more of).

Having said that I am going to take a page from the ABS book for judging. Here goes:

You can submit a sheath, or any other accessory with your knife, if you don't, there is no count against you. If you do, everything you submit will be judged by the same standards. Send an awesome knife, in a so so sheath...thats the breaks.

For my money, I would just submit a knife, but that is me.

GordonK
10-01-2002, 04:19 PM
Many thx - I think that's about all one could ask. I've only sold a couple of fixed blade kits in the short time I've been doing this (I still feel I can do better!!), and always included a sheath.

My order went in this a.m. Hopefully, I can get my digital camera taking my pics how I want them.

Is it safe to assume that the pictures submitted should reflect as much detail as possible about the knife made? In other words, a profile, top edge and close ups (if filework is done)?

Thx again -gord

ghen
10-02-2002, 08:41 AM
Please note that there are some changes that have been made since the contest was announced.

Do not submit photos of contest knives. Refer to STEP 3 in my initial post.

This insures total anonymity, and fairness in the judging process.

PEACE

GHEN

GordonK
10-02-2002, 09:10 AM
Sorry about that - didn't read close enough!!

Like Dennis - gears are already turning:D

What a great opportunity!!

- gord

Jlott
10-11-2002, 12:25 AM
im in ...gonna go choose my kit..later..jl

Jlott
10-11-2002, 11:45 AM
im in on this a bit late so maby i missed some discussion,

just so i can clarify some quesitons i know some have...

the object of this competion is to start with the kit and
do the best custom job on it you can... thats fine...

MY QUESTION ARRISES HERE... AT WHAT POINT DO YOU NOT
ALLOW THE SUBSTITUTION OF PARTS AND REDESIGN TO PASS
THE LINE IN THE SAND,SO TO SPEAK....
BECAUSE UNLESS YOU REQUIRE THAT IT RETAIN AT LEAST SAY 80%
OF ITS ORIGINAL SHAPE OVERALL.. OR THAT ONLY CERTIAN PARTS CAN BE SUBSTITIUTED...OR BOTH... WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO END UP WITH ARE MAKERS THAT FIRST CHANGE ALL THE PARTS TO CUSTOM MATERIALS LIKE DAMASCUS AND MOKUME.. THEN RADICALLY CHANGE THE SHAPE OF THE OVERALL KNIFE.. I SAY AT THAT POINT ITS NO LONGER A KITKNIFE..ITS A PERSONAL ORIGINAL THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE KITKNIFE, NONE OF THE PARTS WOULD BE ORIGINAL !
I guess im saying at what point ISNT IT A
CUSTOMIZED KITKNIFE ANYMORE... BECAUSE UNDER THE CURRENT RULES..ANY CUSTOM FOLDER FROM ANY MAKER THAT
FITS THE GENERAL SHAPE AND LENGTH COULD BE SAID TO HAVE
"STARTED OUT" AS THE KITKNIFE AND EVOLVED FROM THERE TO
WHAT IT IS CURRENTLY... WITH PARTS AND SHAPE SUBSTUTIONS
UNRESTRICTED....

it just seems to me that you would still want it to resemble the orginal kitknife. to be a legitimate entry.. becuause by the time parts and shape are radically altered.. who knows what it really started out as... IF IM BEING TOO OVERCAUTIOUS
OVER THIS..JUST WHACK ME ON THE HEAD AND ILL SHUT UP...
BUT I DONT THINK SO....BECAUSE A COMPETION THAT ALLOWS ONE GUY WITH CNC MACHING EQP TO MAKE NEW PARTS THAT
LOOK ALOT BETTER THAN A GUY WHOS JUST LEARNING TO BE A KNIFEMAKER AND HAS TO DO THIS STUFF BY HAND CANNOT COMPETE AGIANST EACH OTHER..AND ITS NOT FAIR !!!!!!!!!!
BUT UNDER THE CURRENT RULES.. IT CAN HAPPEN...
THE KITKNIFES ARE A LEARNING TOOL.. THAT MEANS THERE SHOULD BE LEARNING LEVEL WORK SUBMITTED HERE.. NOT SOMEONE WHO HAS ACCESS TO CUTTING EDGE TECHNOLOGY
AND EXOTIC MATERIALS AND CAN TURN IT INTO A $2000 SHOWKNIFE.. if i havent explained my concerns clearly im sure
that the general point has gotten across.. this race's rules as they stand have allowed
THOSE THAT RUN IN THE KENTUCKY DERBY TO RACE AGINST THOSE THAT RUN IN MUDVILLE.. AND THATS NOT FAIR for them,
james lott

ps.. im not trying to rain on any parade..I THINK THIS IS A GREAT CONTEST IDEA.. AND I WISH ALL WELL IN IT..BUT IT NEEDS TO BE MADE FAIR...

ghen
10-11-2002, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ghen

There are no "required" components, or percentage of components that are required. We want these knives to be representative of our products, yet we also want to show the growth and possibilities inherent in the product. Use your best judgement.

As I stated, there are no required components, nor a particular % of parts required. Please use my statement as seen above as a guide. I understand it is a bit nebulous and subjective, must like the possibilities inherent in the kits!

I realize this may place somebody with access to CNC etc. at an advantage, but you would be hard pressed to top the work of guys like Sigmon, and Dennis G., and they have done some of their best work on their kitchen table.

Good Luck!

Jerry Hennelly

Kelly Carlson
10-12-2002, 08:35 PM
Jerry,
Well, I finally had about 8 hours to get started on a contest knife -even though you declined my suggestion about winners being your guests at the Blade show.
I started with a GPC - inspected the components and noticed the blade was a little too fat in the tip, and one of the bolsters didn't look so good, so I looked around my shop.
Aaah! a nice piece of rose pattern stainless damascus, just the right size, so I ground that out and sent it out for heat treating.
Next, a matching piece of scrap rose pattern damascus left over looks about right to make a backspacer.
Now I've got to replace those bolsters - mokume, damascus to compliment the blade, or, how about the left-over timascus? Well, I guess I've got to make three sets of bolsters in order to decide, so might as well start a few more kits.
Now with a damascus blade, maybe timascus bolsters, it would really look neat to have a titanium frame, heat colored to go along with the timascus, or whichever bolsters get the nod.
OK, got some 0.040 stock which will work, cut them out, drill and tap, and they're now ready for fitting to the blade when it returns from heat treating.
At least I can use the kit's screws and pivot pin - Ooops, can't.
I don't have metric drills, taps and dies, so I'll have to use my own stock.
That leaves the nylon washers, but I'd really rather use exact fitting nylatron washers on my 3/16" pivot pin.
So much for my judgement.
Jerry - It will look like a GPC, (sort of).

Osprey Guy
10-12-2002, 09:12 PM
;) :D

You're not playing fair!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

Jlott
10-12-2002, 09:21 PM
maby some of these guys will enter a kit..

http://www.miaminiceknife.com/master-smiths.htm

best of luck to everyone :*)

ghen
10-12-2002, 09:28 PM
1. I am happy you are submitting a knife, the contest certainly would seem incomplete without you.

2. I am reasonably sure that your tongue was firmly in cheek when you described your project. You (and Jlott) make a good point, but see things from my perspective: This is not my contest, it is yours. I want everyone to submit the best work they want to, while still allowing you to comfortably call it a Classic KnifeKit product! If I place an arbitrary % restriction, or design restriction, I go against the very values this company is founded on. We give you the brushes, paint, and pallette...go paint!

3. You mentioned "you declined my suggestion about winners being your guests at the Blade show". I stand by my original response about airfare as a prize, but there is more. Once again, please see this from my perspective:

My responsibilty is to represent this company at major industry shows throughout the world. The Blade Show is the premier show for this industry. Now I know most of you as words on a computer screen...nothing else, can I in good faith promise that someone I do not know be allowed to assist in representing this company at a make or break event like Blade? That is not a possibility. Therefore I cannot promise something I cannot in good faith deliver. That is how I do business, never speak a lie, never be a liar.

Thanks for listening.

Jerry Hennelly

Kelly Carlson
10-13-2002, 09:14 AM
Actually, my cheeks are a bit sore this morning, and I knocked a tooth out from excessive pressure. Is this covered under your workman's compensation?
But - yesterday's kit knife project did proceed pretty much as described.
To learn how to make folders, nothing beats starting with an excellent design, as provided by these kits, and then exploring diverging possibilities, one step at a time.
As your team controls the votes, however, I'll stick closer to the spirit of the contest with my submission, and yesterday's results will wear my logo.
Now, in regard to the Blade show, I've got dozens of DDR, DDR2, and now GPC bolsters accumulated, and will be happy to trade those for a room at the Renaissance. If you accept this great deal, I promise to stay away from your podium and microphone.

ghen
10-13-2002, 11:22 AM
Well they said no more podiums next year anyway!

Perhaps you missed the post where I stated that any winner can get an "exhibitor" pass.

Kelly Carlson
10-13-2002, 01:34 PM
Does that mean you don't my extra bolsters?
The promised "exhibitor" pass is a real incentive for me, but, I suspect that the competition will be tough!

ghen
10-13-2002, 03:18 PM
Kelly,

I am not in the supply side of the company, so I cannot say. I would e-mail Darrel and ask him if he is interested.

Have you tried offering the bolsters for sale here? I am sure anyone here who knows your work would be very happy to buy some of your bolsters.

I think you might not be able to sell your own stuff here, so let me say it.

Kelly Carson has some of his fantastic bolsters for sale!!

Kelly Carlson
10-13-2002, 04:16 PM
What I have are several dozen of the stock bolsters for both DDR models, plus a several pairs for the GPC. If anyone messed up their bolsters and wants a replacement set, I'll be happy to mail them a pair, or more. Just send an email with mailing address.

Kelly Carlson
12-02-2002, 10:24 PM
Jerry,
It's December 2nd - who are the contest finalists?

KNAdmin
12-03-2002, 02:16 AM
We don't have any entries yet.

Maybe this contest is going over people's heads. Should we extend it a couple of months, or scratch it for this year?

Alex

Colin KC
12-03-2002, 03:43 AM
Alex,
If you're serious, yeah, stretch it till Feb:)

GordonK
12-03-2002, 09:28 AM
Hi from Calgary!!

For me, work just simply got in the way. Gotta hate when that happens. Next time, though......

:D

-gord

Bob Sigmon
12-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Alex,

I would love it if you extended the contest to the end of Jan. I have just been slammed with stuff that keep me from the knife that I started. If we could get past the "stinkin' " holidays, I know that I'll have more time!

I really do want to enter the contest but "Life" has really been happening.

Bob Sigmon

Osprey Guy
12-03-2002, 01:55 PM
Alex-

Last week, In one of the other threads in this forum, I asked if you guys had given any thought to an extension...there was no answer. I am definitely interested in this contest, but was have been too busy getting ready getting ready for the Baltimore Show.

I would suggest not too long an extension as interest may wane (from everyone).

Dennis

Colin KC
12-03-2002, 02:28 PM
Dennis,
Do you think end of Jan is too long?

SharpByCoop
12-03-2002, 02:55 PM
Jerry and Alex,

I have to apologize as well. I have concentrated on my other jobs and not a contest knife.

I have one I can submit soon. I would imagine the deadline is also relavent to an upcoming show in the Winter?

This is disappointing. We're all talk and no action.... ;) :( 8o

Coop

Osprey Guy
12-03-2002, 03:01 PM
Seems to me 2-3 weeks or so after the holidays is sufficient...

Dennis

KNAdmin
12-03-2002, 06:11 PM
Dennis (actually everyone within ear shot),

We don't mean to not answer every question posted for us on the boards the same day. However, Darrel and I are both running so hard that we sometimes have trouble visiting the boards more than once a day, sometimes two, three days ... etc.

Originally the contest was going to be handled and managed a different way, but since we have no entries yet I want to make a change so that "I" can coordinate and keep it moderated for you all.

OK ... here's what we'll do ...

1) Post contest knife entries (images) to this forum. Show all sides as best you can in several shots.

2) We'll have a preliminary vote based on a poll right here and everyone can choose the top three entries that get to move on to the final round.

3) Once these are established, the finalists will be chosen from direct inspection by Darrel and Myself.

Best fit, finish and artistic presentation wins!
Fair enough?

Alex

Kelly Carlson
12-03-2002, 06:52 PM
Sounds good, Alex.
Now we just need an absolute, permanent, irrevocable final entry date from you. The end of the year seems reasonable to me, particularly as this contest did start many weeks ago.
Plus, I'll have an incentive to learn how to take and post good pictures to the forum, instead of simply moving them from my website.

Osprey Guy
12-03-2002, 10:00 PM
I'm breathing a big sigh of relief...

I was genuinely upset at the thought of not being able to enter the contest. Now, that we've got a reprieve, I'll dive in just as soon as I get past the Chesapeake Show this sunday...then I'm all contest!!!

If nothing else, this contest will force us to higher heights...I'm looking forward to the posts.

I guess we'll all have to make sure and take some decent photos...after all, we'll be up against Coop...his photography skills have become so refined lately as to make even his knives look good!:lol

Dennis

SharpByCoop
12-03-2002, 10:34 PM
PhotoShop can cover a multitude of sins!!! I'm game! :D

Sounds very fair, Alex.

Coop

SharpByCoop
02-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Looks like there was a lot of steam rising, then it died.... :(

I don't need no stinkin' contest! :D

Coop