View Full Version : Molding the Leather to a Folder?

Comet
08-21-2002, 03:28 PM
I have seen some really nice custom leather sheathes which appear to mold around the clips and blades of folders. How do you get the leather to mold to the contours of the knife?

Thanks

DC KNIVES
08-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Comet,first,welcome to the CKD.This is how I do it.Start off with the right thickness leather.I use 5-7 oz for fixed blades and 3-5 oz for folders.I usually kind of form the leather dry first to get my pattern as I want the sheath to fit a little snug.Then I make the sheath all the way except for dyeing.At this point I wrap the knife with Saran wrap,lightly dip the sheath in water just till it changes color then out(you never want the leather soaking wet),let it dry for a short till the gloss wears off then insert the knife.It should be tight at first.Now the fun part ,using a bone folder( a tool made for this purpose which can be purchased from your leather supplier or homemade like mine ,Deer antler) and your fingers form the leather tightly against all surfaces of the knife.Then let dry.The knife should "pop" out if your lucky.Then dye it and your good to go.Try it you'll like it.Dave:)

MtMike
08-27-2002, 02:26 PM
Dave --I've learned the hard way that heavier leather -- 9-10 oz-- can be used for folders but takes a lot heavier hand in the forming, and even then doesn't give very good definition. BUT, I've made a few for large folders, from a big Sasser custom to Schrade LB-7s that came out great with the heavier leather. As you said, the choice of thickness depends what you're going to make with it. Guess that's part of the fun, learning by doing. Of course, I can always just read your posts !
Mike:D

DC KNIVES
08-27-2002, 08:40 PM
Mike,you ol' salty dog, nursing the sunburn from Southern Cal.I been thinking about writing about leatherwork mistakes as it seems I've made most of them at one time or another and I can still manage to come up with some new ones every now and then. The leather God Sandy, has helped me save many cows from dying in vain.Dave:D

MtMike
08-27-2002, 10:28 PM
Right, Dave, thank God cows are a renewable (and tasty) resource. A thread on "Mistakes I have made and what I learned from them" would be fun. Who's gonna start? (not me, still some waves to catch tomorrow !!!HEHEH)
Mike

Sandy Morrissey
08-28-2002, 12:32 AM
I ate 'em------bovines are yummy! Sandy