View Full Version : Bringing the DDR-II's to Chicago!

Osprey Guy
08-13-2002, 09:27 PM
Well I just got back from my family reunion in Chicago. We stayed at my baby sister's little joint...it's kinda small...for a spectacular palace designed and produced by her (also) multi-talented hubby!

I had brought with me, two DDR-II's for my nephews (her boys) ages 14 and 16. We ran up to Home Depot and picked up a Dremel (of course!), a stack of sandpaper 220-2,000grits and few other odds and enough misc. safety equipment, etc for all.

These are very intelligent, active, quite clever (too clever sometimes?) and all in all normal teenage boys, who are otherwise not wanting for much, and not so easily kept attuned to any one thing...like I said, Teenage Boys!

Well they sure sat still for their knifemaking lessons with Uncle Dennis. One day per boy and we wound up with two gleaming, showroom finish, first class folders!...Oddly enough, I never got around to working with G-10 scales before, never knew how pretty these could be. One red and one blue and man they are really kick-ass!

More important the boys had a blast, along with a truly rewarding, satisfying experience for both. We finished up too close to my departure to get photos...I'll see if I can get them to shoot pix and e-mail to me for posting here.

As I was leaving, the older nephew asked if I could get him one of the new kits "you know, the one that looks like a dagger!" heh, heh...I know which one he means... Another budding knifemaker in the Greenbaum family perhaps?;)

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin

Darrel Ralph
08-14-2002, 07:20 AM
Dennis
Its great to see budding talent!
Glad they had fun Dennis!
Your a good uncle.

Sam Wereb
08-14-2002, 08:18 AM
Refer them to the Kit Knife Forum, and the Young Knife Enthusiasts Forum, did you? :)

Bob Sigmon
08-14-2002, 06:27 PM
Dennis,

Good Job! Sometimes it's hard to keep the interest of young guys. You certainly had the right cards up your sleeve.

Looks like you might have started something!

Bob Sigmon

Osprey Guy
08-14-2002, 09:11 PM
I think that in an ironic sort of way, what kept their attention, was their determination to finish the scales fine enough to satisfy Uncle Dennis' close scrutiny. I am quite anal about every single, tiniest scratch and every time they thought they "had it", I'd find another...

They both were dead set on being able to hand their "finished" knife to me and hear me say "now that's a good job", without my sending it back for further sanding or hand rubbing...

I was pretty tough on them but the result was: they learned how important the details are; how excellence and patience go hand in hand; they learned pride in their own abilities;
and no small thing to me, they really have an appreciation for my knives now...
Pretty cool...;)

Dennis

Yeah Baby!:smokin