View Full Version : Shop tours

KnifeWife
08-05-2002, 12:05 AM
A schedule of shop tours for the future issues of the newsletter is being formed. If you would like your shop included contact Curtis or LaRea Wilson at tkcanewsletter02@aol.com or post it here.
If there is a shop tour of someone else you would like to see post it here or contact Curtis or LaRea also.

knightsteel
08-05-2002, 06:46 AM
I think that could be interesting. I would enjoy opening my shop up to a tour.

Daniel Watson

Bob Warner
08-05-2002, 07:14 AM
I like seeing the shop tours.

Don Halter
08-09-2002, 02:51 PM
Actually, it might be interesting to see some of the other "bare minimum" shops out there. I always get a kick out of people rolling their eyes when I mention I do all my damascus work without power hammers and such in the middle of my back yard...or that up until last year I did it on the patio of a condo! That, and a lot of folks are under the impression you need 5K woth of equipment to get into knifemaking. The magazines seem to focus on the high end shops, but most people start somewhere near the "low end".

Hmm....what about a small feature of several smith's from a single area? Over the next several months have "The smiths of South Texas" or "the smiths of Houston, San Antonio, Bryan/College Station...", etc? A member in each area could sponsor the article and be in charge of gathering info and putting it together. With as many members as we have, it shouldn't be too difficult to round up volunteers.

CWKnifeman
08-29-2002, 06:15 PM
:cool:
All TKCA members who are interested in opening up their shops for a tour :eek: can contact me at cwknifeman@ticnet.com, or call (817) 295-3732. Or, you can see me at the Spirit of Steel Show by stopping by my table I think it's C-6.
Thanks to all,

Bob Warner
08-29-2002, 08:08 PM
Mine has been seen but is always open.

knightsteel
08-30-2002, 11:36 AM
My shop is pretty far at the other end of the spectrum from the bare minimum shops that Don Halter mentions. I currently have about 8 full time workers helping out. (A couple of the guys are experienced knifemakers that happen to like like a steady paycheck.)

Daniel Watson

NedFig
11-05-2002, 01:52 PM
Hey Don, mine is on the "low-end" or even below that :)

REATEX
11-06-2002, 09:57 PM
Effective October 4th, 2002 the ISP provider for the TKCA Newsletter was changed. The new email address for the newsletter is as follows: Tkcanewsletter@ev1.net

One shop tour is scheduled and written up for each issue of the TKCA Newsletter. Please contact Curtis Wilson at cwknifeman@ev1.net or through the newsletter at Tkcanewsletter@ev1.net if you are interested in a shop tour of your own or of someone you know.

You can go to www.tkca.org and link up with the 2002 TKCA Newsletters for further contact information.

LaRea Wilson
Tkcanewsletter@ev1.net