View Full Version : Questions about horn

prizzim
01-28-2002, 10:57 AM
So I'm at Moldy Jim's this last summer, and he goes and dumps out a pile of materials for knifemaking - files, wood hunks, deer antlers, and some horns. I picked up some of everything, but now I'm wondering, how does one work horn for knife handles? I presume this stuff came from a cow. It's hollow, about 1/8" thick, and pretty hard. If I want to use it to make scales for a small folder (pinned to steel liners), how do I go about it? If I were to try right now, I'd probably cut it down one side and soak it in something (like oil or water) for a while until I could make it flat, then cut out the pieces I want.

All input appreciated, for manipulating and finishing too! Thanks.

Rbeard
01-28-2002, 11:01 AM
A lot of combs and things were made out of horn by heating them with steam of hot air and flatening them in a press then cutting to shape,look up old books on horn work there mite even be a site out there about thid process!!!!!!.

prizzim
01-28-2002, 02:17 PM
Would boiling in clean water work? I got this thing against steam burns...

nifeman
01-28-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey Prizzim, I read in one of my older knife books that the Puma firm would boil stag horn in water and then flatten them. Also the goat horn I used was already the right shape and it was sort of flat, so that made it easier. Only thing is though, you have to be careful when you drill it. It grows like a fingernail (in layers). Hope this helps...Bud

prizzim
01-28-2002, 04:20 PM
Thanks, nifeman. I'll give it a try and let y'all know how it goes.