View Full Version : 2010 Newbie KITH

NJStricker
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Everyone,

It looks like there is some interest in another KITH. We'll try to give everyone plenty of time to participate, so it's been suggested that we let this one run until late July.

This is a poll so that you can provide input on what type of KITH this will be. I've included several suggestions that have been thrown out so far. All of these are in the poll, but keep in mind that the neck knife, historic, and gentleman's KITH's have been done in recent years.

You can vote for more than one option, if you are undecided.

Voting does not oblige you to participate--this is just to gauge what people might like to make. We will not limit it to forged knives, but if you want to forge a blade that is fine too. Sheaths will be optional, but encouraged.

Nathan

Arccher Moon
01-17-2010, 01:18 PM
This being my first KITH and first knife, I would like to see it go in the simple direction. I do have 2 bars of 5160 that I am just dying to get into, and a ordered project is some I will make happen. This will be fun!

jawilliams0425
01-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Well I am in and that is a good date to end it. It will give people enough time and they don't have to worry about getting it done by the $th of July.

melsdad
01-18-2010, 06:03 AM
I may be interested in this as well. I have a few knife orders to fill so I am not 100% in yet.

DaveRuhlig
01-18-2010, 08:18 AM
Interesting results so far. I think any of the options would make a great kith.
-Dave

pipecrafter
01-18-2010, 10:38 AM
I agree - all great choices! I had a tough time choosing, but chickened out and went with my current focus. I see I'm still the only one that voted for it. :)

CWKnifeman
01-20-2010, 01:05 AM
I can do another KITH knife, I may not be new But I still do these every once in a while.
Curtis

NJStricker
01-20-2010, 09:38 PM
Curtis,

We decided a while back that you don't have to be a Newbie to partake in the Newbie KITH. The more experienced makers use it as an opportunity to try new designs, new materials, or new skills.

OK guys, it looks like the EDC's and the general outdoor knives seem to be drawing the most interest, though not by much. Let's give it until another week and then I'll start a sign-up list. . .

Nathan

Wade Holloway
01-23-2010, 08:21 AM
EDCs are always interesting. It is pretty neat to see different peoples idea of what a EDC is. :)

Arccher Moon
01-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I am glad some one brought that up. I have been lurking around here sense August, and still don't know what an EDC is. Could some one let me know? Thanks, James.

jawilliams0425
01-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I am glad some one brought that up. I have been lurking around here sense August, and still don't know what an EDC is. Could some one let me know? Thanks, James.

James an EDC is an Every Day Carry knife. Everyone has an idea of what theirs would be and the shape of it. Usually something about 8" long or shorter. If I am wrong I know one of the good makers here will correct me. But this is what I understand it to be.

NJStricker
01-23-2010, 09:47 PM
That's pretty much it--Every Day Carry. That still leaves a lot to interpretation though.

Some think of EDC's in a "tactical" sense (I am really starting to despise that word). Basically, your EDC knife is your defensive/offensive knife that you carry with you every day.

For others, it's more utilitarian/practical. It's your everyday working knife, your sidekick.

Regardless, EDC's are knives that are on the smaller side, around 8 inches overall, 3-4 inch blade (usually shorter to comply with local carry laws for fixed blades), light enough to carry for extended periods, etc. Some consider neck knives as a good representation of an EDC.

There are still some photos up from the Gentleman's EDC KITH from a couple of years ago: http://knifenetwork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46493

NuViking
01-25-2010, 11:24 PM
What does EDC stand for???

jawilliams0425
01-25-2010, 11:27 PM
Every Day Carry

NJStricker
01-26-2010, 08:21 AM
Or, Everybody's Do-all Cutter :lol

pipecrafter
01-26-2010, 09:12 AM
EDC KITHs are really fun. It's very open to interpretation, and pretty much everyone comes up with something different. I'm really looking forward to this one!

NuViking
01-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Now I wish i would have voted that way,,,LOL

jawilliams0425
01-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Nathan when will the sign up go up?

NJStricker
01-27-2010, 08:47 AM
I'll start a thread tonight. . .

NJStricker
01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
OK everyone, consider the polls closed. EDC it is!!!

Look for a new thread to sign up if you are interested in joining the fun.