View Full Version : Jeweled Finish

andy gascoigne
06-16-2001, 11:52 AM
Can anyone tell me the best method for a jeweled finish that I want to do on my next liner-locked knife.

Andy..

MJHKNIVES
06-16-2001, 12:21 PM
Andy,go to ,brownells.com/ (http://brownells.com/) ,they have a fixture for doing just that.Very easy to use,they also have the paste compound and rubber bits that go with it.

acs1943
06-16-2001, 02:34 PM
Andy
If you are tight as I'm you could try a pencil with a abrasive eraser (thought I better use the USA term)
put it in a pillar drill and use it like that.
I have done this on brass with good results.

not tried it on ti let me know how you get on you should have my e-mail.

Alan Chandler-Smith

cdark
06-17-2001, 04:57 AM
HI everybody, I've been away from the pc for a while and really missed everyone and the forum. Anyway does anybody know how to get to some Pics of pieces that have been jeweled? Thank's and glad to be back, Chris

Don Cowles
06-17-2001, 06:52 AM
Chris, welcome back. Not sure exactly what you are looking for, but if you just want to look at a pic of the process, I would do a search for "engine turning," which is another name for the style. In custom knives, it is mostly used on the inside of liners.

Bob Warner
06-17-2001, 07:35 AM
Go check out the anodizing Titanium tutorial done by Jason Howell (which really should be in the CKD Reference & Tutorials).

During the tutorial you get a real good shot of how this looks before and after anodizing.

Here it is so you won't have to search: pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...D=54.topic (http://pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm17.showMessage?topicI D=54.topic)

The third picture show it before anodizing and at the end you see it a blue/purple color. It looks great.

Hope this helps.

andy gascoigne
06-17-2001, 12:00 PM
Thanks everone, and Alan I will try the pencil and " erazer" on the Ti. I do'nt have your email address, are you U.K based?
What cutting paste did you try?

Andy..

acs1943
06-17-2001, 02:04 PM
Hi Andy
I sent A e-mail to you through this forum but not to worry the address alan_chandler_smith@dial.pipex.com
the paste I used was valve grinding paste If you have ever had a side vavle ford you will now what I mean.

Im working in Germany but have a house in the uk I'm in England at the moment.

If you want any thing from Wolf Borger let me know I vist him most weeks.

To come back to the paste I have found a supplier of diamond paste but it is on the other box so watch this space

regards Alan
PS vote fo my pic please pretty please

Frank Niro
06-17-2001, 09:44 PM
You can do a good job by using cratex cylinders that are usually easy to get. I use 3/16" course grit. You just chuck these in your drill press. Do not use a lot of pressure but make contact for a couple of seconds. Easy to catch on to and will do a great job. Frank.

andy gascoigne
06-18-2001, 11:52 AM
Thanks Frank I,ve done a search on Cratex and found a jewelers supply house who sell them at a good price.

Alan I remember you now that you have mentioned that you know Wolf Borger. I will translate his web site to English and have a look what he's got and will get in touch with you, thanks for the offer.

Regards
Andy

p.s Are you able to pick up your emails from Germany ?

Jason G Howell
06-19-2001, 05:40 AM
Sorry I missed this one... I get my cratex sticks from Jantz in Oklahoma. Cylinders about 1/4" around or better. In their catalog, it's right after the dremel points. Medium grit and fine grit, whichever your taste. They make a cratex stick "holder" for about $18, but you don't need it. Just chuck it up in your drill press, exposing a little at a time. I dress it with a file every row or so. This keeps your circles crisp. Overlap to get the fish scale look. It's a nice way to dress up a folder.

GavinD
06-19-2001, 11:17 AM
Alan.
I went and tried it with the eraser last night using grinding paste and it worked great. At first I found the eraser was breaking up a bit but with a little less pressure it worked just fine. Thank you

Gavin

Geno
06-23-2001, 09:49 PM
A wooden dowel rod in your drill press with buffing compound on the end will work too.