View Full Version : Curious

Panvelky
10-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I am new to the forum. I just heard about the Knife Makers Guild this weekend at the Gun and Knife show in Fayetteville. A Mr. Tommy Johnson from Troy, NC. told me about the guild and the meeting.

I was wondering if I could come and check out your upcoming meeting as a guest?
I want to learn and get better and the best way is to hang around and talk to those doing what you want to do.

I have only been making knives seriously for about a year. I have only made around 10 not counting the ones I am currently working on.

I will include a couple of pictures of recently finished knives.

ranger1
10-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Joel,
Consider yourself invited. This is a great Guild. The people are very knowledgeable. If you come to the Oct. meeting bring a profiled blade blank, and some files. the Jones Bro. are going to do a hands on demo on blade bevels by hand files.
Hope to see you there. Its at Montgomery County Community Collage, in Troy

AcridSaint
10-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Welcome to the forum, hope to see you at the meeting.

(Yes, I'll be at this one ;) )

Barry Jones
10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
You are indeed welcome to attend the meeting. We have never turned away anyone and we never will.

Panvelky
10-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the info! I am making plans right now so that I can be there. I have a blank that I made about a week ago so it will work out great. I am looking forward to it.

Panvelky
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Another question. What is Iron in the hat?

Barry Jones
10-07-2008, 07:45 PM
Iron In The Hat is an old blacksmith's tradition that the NCCKG modified to suit us.

This is how I understand it.

The original version was for when a group of smiths gathered together. They would all bring something they hammered out, whether it was a tool or something decorative. They'd sit them out with a cup beside them. They would place a ticket they purchased inside the cup of the piece they wanted. If their ticket was drawn they'd get the piece.

The NCCKG does it this way.

We all bring something out of our shops and throw it on a table. These items can be just about anything (handle material, blade material, tools, books, etc). They don't have to be expensive. We sell tickets for $1 a piece or 6 for $5. We draw tickets after lunch and the winning ticket gets their choice of one item off the table. tickets are drawn until all the stuff is gone. We usually sell enough tickets to cover feeding the entire group that day plus extra.

Panvelky
10-08-2008, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I'll look around for something to throw in.

ranger1
10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Be look'in for you there.

JONKING66
10-09-2008, 05:46 PM
nice knives..I like your grinds. Look forward to meeting you in a few weeks.