View Full Version : Selling Knives

Kinger
10-11-2001, 09:24 PM
I am just getting into knife making and would like to in the future sell some of the knives that I make. I am planing to get a knife grinder and was wondering after I have practiced and start to turn out some nice knives if it is hard to find buyers. I want to focus mostly on useable hunters and skinners not true collectors at first. Also I am only 16 so traveling to shows is not an option right now. Another question I have is approxamitly how many hours does it take you to make a full tang, flat ground hunter (this will give me something to shoot for :-)

Thanks,
Justin

Gary Mulkey
10-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Justin,

There is always a buyer for a quality product at the right price. Asking how hard it is to find buyers is a question that only you can answer. I would suggest that as you progress with your knife making that you show them to your friends that share your interest in knives and see what their views are about your work. Understand that no one makes their best knife on the first try. Keep showing your work to your friends and before long one of them will ask, "How much do you want for it." The best way to find a future buyer is for one of your past customers to recommend you as a maker.

Here at CKD is one of the best places I know to learn from some of the best who are glad to share their experience with us newbies.

Gary Mulkey

Changularity
10-14-2001, 09:50 PM
Wow, 16. I thought I was the youngest. I'm 17.

SLKnives
10-15-2001, 08:38 AM
My 15 year old daughter just finished her second knife (with minimal assistance from dad), making her the youngest so far on this thread- and the prettiest too !! (she was an asset at the Guild show- I could of had ugly knives and they still would have come by my table)

Schuyler (proud dad)

Tom Ferry
10-15-2001, 09:53 AM
hey Schulyer I know how you feel about having a daughter wanting to make knives. Although mine has never made one as of yet because she is 3 1/2 yrs old. A little while back she came out to the shop with a handful of toy utensils to show me that she was pretending to make. Makes a dad feel real good inside that your kid is interested in what you do even at that young age.
Another proud dad.