View Full Version : Fashion Label Knife Needed

mr.motorcycle
08-30-2007, 06:08 PM
looking to create a custom knife to support a new boutique clothing line based on the 60?s rocker / caf? racer aesthetics .

want to know some options + ideas
how to get them fabricated?
how to make them historically similiar to what was used in the 50-60's for a motorcyclclist knife?

NJStricker
08-30-2007, 08:58 PM
Do you have a picture of this "motorcyclist knife?" I've never heard of one. . .

ranger1
08-31-2007, 06:57 AM
Even a rough sketch would help.Then anyone interested in making one for you could send you some drawings and prices.Sounds like something I wouldn't mind taking a stab at.(Get it)

NJStricker
09-04-2007, 02:19 PM
I get the feeling this guy won't be back. . .

ranger1
09-05-2007, 07:50 AM
Did we scare him?

NJStricker
09-05-2007, 08:40 AM
I've seen guys like this pop in on some other forums. Usually it's "Hey, I've got this cool idea for a custom knife, who will make it for me." Or, "I have a new idea for an EDC that I want to mass market, who here can make me 500 prototypes. . ."

A motorcycle knife for a cafe is a new one to me. . .

ranger1
09-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Let me guess you get to be in on the deal if you supply the knives free,or on consighnment,

NJStricker
09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't know. They never stick around long enough.

One guy over on knifeforums was all excited because he had a new idea for a slipjoint that would revolutionize the market, and he wanted someone to make a bunch of prototypes. His target market was in the lower price range. He never posted again after I posted a couple of links about the demise of Camillus and Schrade.

Who knows, maybe he's talking to the Chinese now.

SharpByCoop
09-06-2007, 05:49 AM
I had started to write a lengthy post that wasn't too positive towards this guy.

Basically knives and bikers from the 60's and 50's are a throwback to an outlaw period and satisfying a 'knife' to be used in an ad campaign wasn't going to make us look good--it would just make their product look 'bada$$'.

I can foresee the ramifications. Pass.

Coop

Andrew Garrett
09-06-2007, 06:11 AM
I did a couple of web searches for knives like what he is describing, because I felt stupid for not having a clue what he was talking about.

That 'sub-culture', 'genre', or whatever you choose to call it had no particular knife style associated with it anyway (from what I could find).

For the sake of education, feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.

NJStricker
09-06-2007, 02:02 PM
Andy,

Yeah, I did a quick google search for "motorcycle knife" and came to the conclusion that the guy a) really doesn't know knives and b) probably doesn't know much about motorcycles and motorcycle culture either.

Coop,

I understand your concern, but I don't regard the knife itself to be any different than say, a modern automatic tactical knife, gambler's sleeve knife, French & Indian "scalping" knife, or a Confederate D-guard bowie. In my mind, if I had to come up with a knife for this guy it would be either a Italian style switch blade or a double-edged boot knife. Besides, if this were a movie they were making and not an ad shot, how many custom makers would turn down the chance to have their blade used?

Coutel
09-06-2007, 04:00 PM
Motorcycle era of the 50 and 60's............what comes to my mind are flick/automatic style knives.
In the UK during the motorcycle era of the 50 and 60's, flick/automatic knives were popular with bikers and there use (gang violence) was one reason why this style of knife was banned in the UK.......

Do you remember those automatic combs that when closed looked like knives?.....maybe that should be the 'fashion label' needed:smokin

ranger1
09-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I was thinking minature Bowie knives made into ear rings."Fashion statement"

Andrew Garrett
09-08-2007, 12:47 PM
BudK has a folding knife made in some -stan that actually looks like a motorcycle for something like $6.99 I think.:rockon:

NJStricker
09-10-2007, 06:50 AM
You know, even if this guy never came back--this would be a good idea for a KITH!

ranger1
10-10-2007, 05:31 PM
No NO No No N0 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ranger1
10-10-2007, 05:32 PM
Ok lets do it

Hukk
10-10-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't have any information on 50's and 60's knives used by "Outlaw Bikers" other than some were switchblades.
In the early 70's however it was just about universal that a Buck 110 was worn on the belt. I lived in a town on Clearlake, Ca. where a pretty good number of Hell's Angels made an annual run. I saw a few Buck 110's that were "serrated" blades, really just sharp teeth became a cutting edge. Rather wicked looking to say the least.

I see a lot of sellers of Buck Kalinga knives claim bikers liked the rugged look and refer to them as biker knives. I never saw a Buck Kalinga worn however in the years I lived up there.

NJStricker
10-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Ok lets do it

Do what? An outlaw biker KITH?

john smith
11-17-2007, 09:11 AM
I'm new to knife network forum. It's sound like some of you are RUDE when it comes to someones idea. Yes I ride a harley! I carry a pocket knife, belt knife of one style or another depending on if I'm working or riding. But all I ask of any one is show me respect and I will do the same. yes his question about a knife for 50s or 60s biker is open to anyones view of that era.

Andrew Garrett
11-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Mr. Smith,

I see that you are new to the forums and that this is your first post--I'm sorry you found cause to make a negative one.

This particular forum, 'Custom Projects', has a 'charter' so-to-speak. If you read the stickys at the top of the forum, you'll see why this forum exists and what we talk about and do here. The project that 'mr motorcycle' described was way off base. He was appearently looking for a 'mascot' knife of some sort to promote his clothing line, and was less than serious about it given his unwillingness to answer serious questions about his project from the very people HE solicited.

The members and participants here on TKN are no strangers to all sorts of zip-in, zip-out would-be entrepreneurs who post once and never return. Some may be legitimate--others are, no doubt, working some level of scam. I don't know what mr motorcyle's intentions were/are, but his lack of participation in the discussion he started is evidence enough that he was, at the very least, less than sincere.

Knifemakers work very hard at their craft, investing blood, sweat, tears, creative energy, and a considerable amout of money. As a result, we prefer to work with serious clients who understand and respect that. No one likes to waste time.

As for being rude... I'm sorry you were offended. We truly like to welcome newcomers to TKN. This is likely the best online community in, dare I say, the world. Just remember, the typed word lacks the inflection of the spoken word and is therefore, easier to misinterpret. You can't be too sensitive, or you will probably be inadvertantly offended again.

As for motorcycle culture, I and many others here indentify ourselves as 'riders' or 'bikers'. My wife and I both ride and were married on her bike at a drive-thru window in Vegas. I assure you, no one here was bagging on bikers, or their choice of knives.

As usual, I'm writing a book, so I'll shut up now.

ranger1
11-17-2007, 11:53 PM
John welcome aboard,
Andrew you do gets involved.John alot of people here would have been very interested in making Mr.M a knife if he had only given us some idea of what he had in mind. Or even returned to ask our ideas.I am making a SanMai Bowie from a 1939 H-D chain and a core of 1095.The guard will be forged from a H-d primary chain.Not sure about handle material yet.It will be sold at auction at a biker charity event for children with catostrophic illnesses.
I concider it a Biker Knife.
By the way my wife and I both ride she also has a Harley,

ranger1
11-18-2007, 12:01 AM
It just occured to me that after reading this thread over again,Iwas an outlaw Biker in the 70's.I carried a Gerber MKII.

Andrew Garrett
11-18-2007, 01:42 AM
I was in elementary school in the 70s! :banplease

Andrew Garrett
11-18-2007, 01:44 AM
How's that for brevity?

Andrew Garrett
11-18-2007, 01:46 AM
A full tang, fixed blade, Italian style stiletto... with a boot sheath...

Now that sounds like a biker's knife!

john smith
11-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Andrew & ranger
Thankyou for your response to my post. I do understand that there is people out there that will scam everyone on everything, (what a shame). I know that this is more then a hobby to most of you, so I apoligize to every one in the custom forum.
I do take pride in what I do and thats why I enjoy this website, It is the best information.
To me a biker knife of the 50s is a switch blade style, a knife of the 60s would be a large fixed blade knife like the buck 119 or buck kalinga. I agree with one of the other post and you guys take the idea and run with it. maybe make one knife and have a biker auction for charity. Bikers do have big hearts. As you all know I'm a newbie and will post real soon in that forum for feedback on a knife I 'm getting ready to start.

SharpByCoop
11-18-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm new to knife network forum. It's sound like some of you are RUDE when it comes to someones idea. Yes I ride a harley! I carry a pocket knife, belt knife of one style or another depending on if I'm working or riding. But all I ask of any one is show me respect and I will do the same. yes his question about a knife for 50s or 60s biker is open to anyones view of that era.OK. I've reread your post five times. and I am still scratching my head. What are you defending?

A newbie's right to use a knife and be a biker? Not in question. All of us will agree and offer similarities.

The fact that we weren't forthcoming in providing knife info that could potentially be a black mark on the world of custom knives, which we all support, by the way of trademarking an image knife?

Or that bikers and knives from the fifties and sixties were completely legitimate and mainstream, and we are way off base? Ya know, like yourself, I have a gazillion miles under a scooter and have been across the tracks to have seen the world through darker eyes. It's not all good.

What was brought up here was the wish for a marketing tool that only has one goal: to sell product. It did not appear to be supportive of our industry. In fact, I declared the opposite would be true. I still think so.

The FACT that a newbie would not join in the discussion and counter or support their needs, is a pretty clear indication that we were close to home base on this one.

I am the first person to be welcoming, but I am realistic as well.

Hi John. Let's discuss.

Coop

john smith
11-18-2007, 12:49 PM
Coop
My first opinion when I read this was that there was a few rude commets for someone having an idea about a project. I apoligize again if I did not understand the entire situation at hand. Nobody wants a bad rap knifemakers or bikers for something that another person or group did or implied. Again thank you for your help and commets

SharpByCoop
11-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Understood.

There is legitimate 'work' in posting. it requires some knowledge beforehand of protocols and an honest dialog. The usage of smilies is a REAL big bonus. :welcome:

*Generally* on any forum, if the moderators are not in agreement, then something is amiss. Not the golden rule, but it's a like blue-chip stock.... :mod: Hard to go wrong and pretty stable.

Looking forward to more of your posts. Thanks!

Coop