View Full Version : Finishing large sheaths

Cactusforge
03-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Don, As you have seen my posts on The Display Case some of, most of my sheaths are very large, is the oil/wax treatment sutitable for these sheaths, I have been using Super Shean. I hesitate to try the oil mix as it would take a couple of gallon to do on just one sheath Gib

Don Cowles
03-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Gib, I keep an electric skillet on the bench with the oil/wax mixture in it all the time. When I need to dunk a sheath, I just plug it in until the mixture is liquid. Even large sheaths don't lower the level much, and when it does start to go down, I just throw in another chunk of beeswax and a dollop of neatsfoot oil. It does mean having one more thing taking up space on a limited number of square feet, but it is very convenient this way.

MJHKNIVES
03-01-2002, 12:53 PM
Gib, as an alternative, get two of those bread pans from the supermarket. Cut the end out of one and tape AND epoxy the two together, to make one large enough.
Call a leather supply co., and get one, or two, gallons of Lexol NF, it is a newer NON GREASY version of neatsfoot oil, and when dry, leaves no greasy residue, so you will have no trouble putting polish on.
Heat your DRY sheath in an 180-200deg., preheated oven, for about 10-12 minutes.
In the long pan that you have fabricated, pour whatever amount of Lexol NF, that you deem necessary to cover the sheath, when dunked.
Take your now heated sheath from the oven and submerge in the Lexol, hold for about the count of 3-5 seconds, remove and drain the excess back into the pan. Set the sheath in the dish drainer or whatever, to dry.
Polish with Kiwi shoe wax, or what ever you chose.
Pour the Lexol back into it's container, you can reuse this stuff till it's all gone (a long time).
I have been doing my sheaths this way for years, and I like the results. Hope this helps you a little.

Ladybug1400
03-02-2002, 10:28 PM
I'm still a newbie at sheathmaking... i've not done the dip you all talk about.. i just dye my leather and put super sheen on them.. it seems you all are doing this beewax and NF dip... would tandy have this?
also.. would appreciate someone e-mailing me about weaver leather.. i don't know what to order..
i've ordered from on catalog and was very not happy with the leather i received.. thanks..
Ladybug