View Full Version : sno seal on sheaths??

bearbutte
02-26-2002, 11:15 PM
Hey there,
First time posting. I've been reading the threads backwards and forwards, and staying up waaaayyyy too late reading all this good stuff. I've been learning alot just hanging out. My question is this... has anyone used sno seal for boots on knife sheaths. It protects my hiking boots fairly well, but I wanted to know if it was an appropriate sealant for sheaths. I have a sheath I made out of veg tan leather, and I like the color it is already, so I don't want to dye it. sno seal usually makes the leather a shade or two darker, but I'm OK with that. How do you think this will work for a hunting knife sheath?

-Dave

Don Cowles
02-27-2002, 06:00 AM
Sno Seal advises you to heat the leather before applying the dressing. If you also melted the Sno Seal, it would be very close to the hot wax dip you have been reading about, since it contains oils and beeswax.

The key is to get the mixture to penetrate the sheath deeply.

cgillock
02-27-2002, 07:40 PM
If i remember correctly sno seal has silicone in it. I never use anything but natural products on leather. Bear oil is hard to beat.

bearbutte
02-27-2002, 11:34 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was curious to know if silicone is a bad thing for leather or are natural products a personal preference? I read the container on the sno seal and it says it's a natural wax. Could they have added silicone as a carrier or something? I'm not opposed to buying neatsfoot oil and beeswax, but just thought I'd use what I had on hand. I certainly don't want to ruin the sheath over the long term. I tried the melted sno seal and preheated piece of scrap leather and it looks pretty good and seems to have penetrated the leather. I'd be interested to see what you think of the silicone part.

cgillock
02-28-2002, 07:13 AM
Silicone will deteriote leather in the long run. It will also rot linen thread. This probably isn't a problem when used on boots & shoes. I use in on work boots & it is a great waterproofer. But boots & shoes seem to wear out before the silicone cracks the leather.

bearbutte
02-28-2002, 09:10 PM
Good to know that about silicone. After reading that, I won't take the chance. I'll pick up some neatsfoot tomorrow. Sure glad I waited to hear from you guys before doing the sheath.

As a side note, I never knew how widespread knifemaking was. I've met a lot of people lately that have got the bug as badly as I do. Thanks again.

cgillock
03-01-2002, 07:10 AM
Make sure you get pure neatsfoot oil not neatsfoot oil compound.

blckbear
03-04-2002, 10:40 AM
OK now that you guys have talked about neats foot oil what are you opinions on Mink oil?

Mike

cgillock
03-04-2002, 01:07 PM
All I have ever seen has silicone. Again it is a good conditioner for leather that is not expected to last for several years.

ghostdog
03-06-2002, 10:02 AM
When I trapped we rendered mink fat into oil as well as beaver fat. Both were excellent conditioners and added good water resisitance. I preffered the beaver oil.

ghostdog

cgillock
03-07-2002, 07:24 AM
Ghostdog i would agree that the homemade oil is alot better than the commercial stuff. At least you know the ingredients. Also agree on the beaver oil.

ghostdog
03-07-2002, 10:11 AM
A buddy of mine has some nuisance beaver on his property. The game department has given him the name of the trapper who controls the line. He is going to ask the trapper once he contacts him if I can have the carcass.

I told him I would rid him of his guests but he wants to do it by the book.

ghostdog

KandSKNIVES
03-10-2002, 03:05 AM
I have been trying a new product, Montana Pitch-Blend. Made with all natural ingrediants and comes in liquid or wax. I am very pleased with the results on new sheaths and really pleased with the results on older sheaths. For the price it costs to produce my own formula, this is a great alternative, in price and quality.
www.mpitchblend.com.

cgillock
03-10-2002, 08:14 AM
I started using MTP a few years ago after i had a streaking problem on some light colored trunks from using Skidmores leather cream. I am sold on MTP but i still prefer Skidmores on darker pieces. But don't use it on light colored leather. I called the company about the problem & they told me they had not heard of it streaking. After talking with some custom bootmaker friends they had also had the same problem. But you can't go wrong with MTP on any leather. I've even used it on fine braintan.
Curt

ghostdog
03-10-2002, 09:10 AM
I wonder of it is available in Canada? hmmm. Either of you know the ingrediaents?

ghostdog

KandSKNIVES
03-15-2002, 08:47 AM
Ghost, sorry for being late on the answer to your question. The indrediants are the same as in the homemade stuff. Pine pitch, mink oil, and beeswax. There are no petroleum, silicone, or alcohol in MPB. This is a great product at great prices.

ghostdog
03-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Ken, thanks for the info. Pine pitch huh? I have been experimenting with alcohol as a solvent for pine pitch. I think I will add some to my beeswax/neastfootoil mix.

Thanks

ghostdog