View Full Version : Horsehide Sheath

Don Cowles
04-20-2002, 02:19 PM
Just thought some of you might be interested in a horsehide sheath I made for one of the CKD Fusion (pass around) projects. You can see it at pub42.ezboard.com/fcustom...D=55.topic (http://pub42.ezboard.com/fcustomknifedirectoryforumfrm20.showMessage?topicI D=55.topic)

It's a big sheath for a big knife. The leather was hard-rolled horse butt, probably 7-8 oz. Stiff as a board and hard to work, but worth the extra effort. Takes a beautiful finish, and will outlast cowhide many times over.

The little dangly thing at the tip of the sheath is braided kangaroo leather with an osage orange wooden bead.

helmar4578
04-20-2002, 04:43 PM
Don, my friend---the hard rolled horsehide is a bear to work with but the ultra fine grain of the leather is a huge plus for finish and appearance. Try the soft rolled horsehide for stamping and carving. I guarantee you will fall in love with it and is great for sheaths, gun belts and holsters. The sheath you made really puts a class act on a class act Bowie and the collaboration between you guys on the package deserves a king size thumbs up! I have always favored the Sam Browne stud for the retainer strap on ANY Bowie sheath and would always feel that "it belongs" in that period or time frame. My compliments, Don, on a job well done! Sandy

MtMike
04-21-2002, 07:25 AM
Don -- Great work , don't see too many pouch sheaths for the big ones. This one fits perfectly. I usually prefer the strap over the spine, but I see that the canted draw you built in requires the strap to be just where it is. Sorry I won't be able to be at the show to see it.
Does the horsehide make for hard work in the construction of the sheath, or in the tooling and stamping? Or both -- any hints?
Question: post sez the slabs are giraffe, certificate sez camel -- which?
Thanks for the pics, great way to start a cold Sunday morning
MtMike

Don Cowles
04-21-2002, 12:45 PM
My error, Mike- they are camel. I'll go back and edit.

What sandy said about the horsehide; it is not easy to work, but worth it.

Raymond Richard
04-21-2002, 10:27 PM
I did a fair amount of horse hide last week and didn't think it was much different than cow hide. I was really impressed with the flesh side, really didn't look much different than the hair side......Ray

LthrWrk
05-20-2002, 07:03 PM
I have worked with horsehide before..

No matter the leather if it is too hard to work I use Lexol preservative conditioner to soften it. Course depends on what I am doing. Sometimes I have a customer who comes to me with a hide he has had sitting somewhere for years. So if you got stuff that is too hard.. a litte bit of Lexol.. worked in and it makes a huge difference.

This sheath being a foldover must have been a bear to work if you didnt put some conditioner in it.

Charles